Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: What are the most common mistakes?

  1. #1

    What are the most common mistakes?

    This is just for fun, and possibly education.

    What are the most common mistakes and code violations you see in our industry?

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    9,413
    Quote Originally Posted by marmathsen View Post
    This is just for fun, and possibly education.

    What are the most common mistakes and code violations you see in our industry?

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    In my industry (Solar PV), according to some inspectors I have spoken with the most common mistake is wiring the PV AC disconnect backwards. The inverter goes on the load side, not the line side.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,796
    Quote Originally Posted by marmathsen View Post
    This is just for fun, and possibly education.

    What are the most common mistakes and code violations you see in our industry?

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Around here I would say it's burial depth for cables and conduit. I'm sure that a lot of the work was not inspected but I find cables all the time that are not at correct depth. A common one is UF cable that's not over 6" below grade. Some just under the sod.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    9,413
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    Around here I would say it's burial depth for cables and conduit. I'm sure that a lot of the work was not inspected but I find cables all the time that are not at correct depth. A common one is UF cable that's not over 6" below grade. Some just under the sod.
    And some get exposed and run over by lawn mowers.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,045
    I give an 8 hour seminar on this topic.
    Rick Napier
    Inspector and Instructor

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,330
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    In my industry (Solar PV), according to some inspectors I have spoken with the most common mistake is wiring the PV AC disconnect backwards. The inverter goes on the load side, not the line side.
    Actually I've heard that inspectors are requiring it to be wired the other way. And the most common, missing KO seals.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

    There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

    John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    568
    How about the most common thing inspectors fail you for when you know it's right but the inspector is not to smart

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    568
    Or the most common thing inspectors are wrong about

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ocala, Florida, USA
    Posts
    2,527
    LV wiring strapped to Conduit that isn't listed for it.


    I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    15,973
    We kept a tally based on three inspectors rejections on residential over a long period and for Rough-Ins it was nail plates, box fill and receptacle spacing. Final inspections did not have any real "leaders" but GFCI violations, improper OCP on HVAC equipment, and improper panel schedules were high on the list.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •