Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Low Voltage conduit run

You don't know how you'd do it because you don't know the whole circumstance unless you were able to visit the site and decide for yourself how best to move the cable.

JAP>

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    How would you do it?

JAP>
    I usually have 1/2" EMT on me and metal bell boxes so I would probably just use EMT, mostly out of convenience.
    I would not bond the EMT to anything unless other circumstances required it.
    (I dont usually carry PVC smaller than 3/4")

Quote Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
    I usually have 1/2" EMT on me and metal bell boxes so I would probably just use EMT, mostly out of convenience.
    I would not bond the EMT to anything unless other circumstances required it.
    (I dont usually carry PVC smaller than 3/4")
    But your speculating that this is the only solution.

So, as long as we're speculating.

I'd go to the house next door to the one you did, that has the exact same scenario, pull the cable back into the attic, make the splice there, poke the wire out right behind the camera location where you couldn't see it, and my customer and I would sit on the patio with a drink, and make fun of how ugly your install was with the exposed conduit and boxes while admiring how good ours looked.

JAP>

I just love it when people I don't even know speculate and put in writing what they think I would or wouldn't do.

With that being the case, I think JFLetcher would worry himself so much about extending this that he'd hire it done.

JAP>
    my reply was intended as a joke, not any dig at your craftsmanship or professionalism. I apologize if it came off that way.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by hitehm View Post
    Hey guys, I tried the low voltage forum with no success so far on any help.
    So you posted over there at 6:37PM and reposted the same question here at 7:26PM. Guess we weren't quick enough for you huh?

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    my reply was intended as a joke, not any dig at your craftsmanship or professionalism. I apologize if it came off that way.
    We're good.

Jap>

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    So you posted over there at 6:37PM and reposted the same question here at 7:26PM. Guess we weren't quick enough for you huh?

-Hal
    The job was the next morning at 5AM. Was anxious to get a quick answer and get to bed. Sorry for my impatience.

For those wondering how this was done, see the attached pic. The end result was that the only non-metal part I ended up using was the plastic bell box that was used for it's cover to mount the dome camera. The original camera location was where I put the metal LB to extend it up and over to a much better viewing position. I dislike using ENT outside if I don't have to. It's never straight and warps easily, sags without a mess of straps, discolors in the desert heat, and is just plain ugly imho compared to EMT. The conduit and fitting also tend to have much more noticeable writing on them compared to emt which turns off some customers. People tend to do conduit on their homes reluctantly so the better you can make it look the better. Of course, much of this is all personal opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by hitehm View Post
    For those wondering how this was done, see the attached pic. The end result was that the only non-metal part I ended up using was the plastic bell box that was used for it's cover to mount the dome camera. The original camera location was where I put the metal LB to extend it up and over to a much better viewing position. I dislike using ENT outside if I don't have to. It's never straight and warps easily, sags without a mess of straps, discolors in the desert heat, and is just plain ugly imho compared to EMT. The conduit and fitting also tend to have much more noticeable writing on them compared to emt which turns off some customers. People tend to do conduit on their homes reluctantly so the better you can make it look the better. Of course, much of this is all personal opinion.
    Is that an offset nipple coming out of an LB with SS connectors and no box offsets I see?

JAP>

Is that an offset nipple coming out of an LB with SS connectors and no box offsets I see?

JAP>
    There is an offset on the box not visible in the pic. BTW, the lb already placed the conduit flat against the the exterior. The nipple happen to raise that elbow up to the perfect height so I used what I had on the truck. There is no SS fittings there, the fittings are labeled for EMT and just say "steel" on the package.