User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Outdoor Low Voltage conduit run

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Outdoor Low Voltage conduit run

    Hey guys, I tried the low voltage forum with no success so far on any help. However, this is just as much an NEC code question so any help is appreciated.

    Here is my original post (sorry, if there's a way to move a thread to different category I don't know how):

    I have to extend a residential 12 volt camera power cable from the point where it pops out of the back stucco wall over to the center of the patio cover ceiling. It's only about 4 feet. I will use a box at the initial exit point and a 90 deg elbow and conduit over to a second box to mount the camera in its new location. The cable is regular old 22/4 comm cable. Here are my questions:

    1 - I'd like to use emt instead of ent tubing but I would like to use non metallic boxes if possible. Since it's low voltage and only on the exterior meaning non of this conduit work will penetrate into the house is this ok to mix the metallic conduit with the plastic boxes?

    2- If NOT ok in quesiton 1 and I have to use metal boxes with the metal tubing, is there any bonding needed of the emt? Note that the 12 volt circuit inside the conduit is not grounded.

    Any help and code reference appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    6,042
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back to the form.

    You do not have to ground the Raceway for this install, although I do not have a code reference to back that up at the moment. Chapter 7 and chapter 8 installs are not subject to chapter three rules nor chapter 2 unless specifically cited

    EMT and non-metallic boxes is fine. Operationally, the biggest thing will be how you make the splices on to the existing cable. 22 / 4 is not a common size if they are twisted pairs you need a proper Cat6 splice to extend that cable. As far as I know, Cat6 only comes in 23 gauge. If they are not Twisted pairs, just Old Bell wire and the signal is okay now, you should be able to use scotchlok UY2 connectors to extend each wire.

    Eta: " regular old Comm wire" is a bit ambiguous. cat3 CAT5 and Cat5e are usually 24 gauge. If it's one of those. And twisted pair then use a Cat5e splice block. The UY2 2-port yellow beanies can accept anywhere from 19 to 26 gauge wire if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by JFletcher; 03-08-18 at 11:54 PM.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12V,,,, 4 Feet,,,, I'm not going to tell you what I'd do.

    JAP>

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Welcome back to the form.

    You do not have to ground the Raceway for this install, although I do not have a code reference to back that up at the moment. Chapter 7 and chapter 8 installs are not subject to chapter three rules nor chapter 2 unless specifically cited

    EMT and non-metallic boxes is fine. Operationally, the biggest thing will be how you make the splices on to the existing cable. 22 / 4 is not a common size if they are twisted pairs you need a proper Cat6 splice to extend that cable. As far as I know, Cat6 only comes in 23 gauge. If they are not Twisted pairs, just Old Bell wire and the signal is okay now, you should be able to use scotchlok UY2 connectors to extend each wire.

    Eta: " regular old Comm wire" is a bit ambiguous. cat3 CAT5 and Cat5e are usually 24 gauge. If it's one of those. And twisted pair then use a Cat5e splice block. The UY2 2-port yellow beanies can accept anywhere from 19 to 26 gauge wire if I remember correctly.
    Hey JFletcher, thanks for the reply, very helpful. Question, when you say "Chapter 7 and chapter 8 installs are not subject to chapter three rules nor chapter 2 unless specifically cited" is this specifically specified in the NEC somewhere?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    12V,,,, 4 Feet,,,, I'm not going to tell you what I'd do.

    JAP>
    Hey JAP, I know the question seemed a little obvious. I guess what I was concerned with was "bonding" the metal parts that a separated by plastic outside for keeping them at equal potential. Wasn't at all concerned with the actual conductors inside. Was probably totally over thinking it! Thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitehm View Post
    Hey JAP, I know the question seemed a little obvious. I guess what I was concerned with was "bonding" the metal parts that a separated by plastic outside for keeping them at equal potential. Wasn't at all concerned with the actual conductors inside. Was probably totally over thinking it! Thanks.
    It's not going to make a difference with that type of cable an voltage installed inside of it.
    More of an issue of if the cable itself is rated for outdoor use.

    JAP>

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    6,042
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitehm View Post
    Hey JFletcher, thanks for the reply, very helpful. Question, when you say "Chapter 7 and chapter 8 installs are not subject to chapter three rules nor chapter 2 unless specifically cited" is this specifically specified in the NEC somewhere?
    See 90.3, code arrangement. Chapter 8 installs are not subject to chapters 1 through 7 unless specifically referenced. Chapter 7 supplements or modifies chapters 1 through 4.

    That written, you do not have to ground or Bond either the race way or the Box. If the 2017 NEC has changed that I'd simply use ENT or PVC and plastic boxes.

    I'm pretty sure Jap would splice it open air since
    limited energy splices do not have to be made in a box... and it is only 4'. ENT is the best choice though for security purposes.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    I'm pretty sure Jap would splice it open air
    I just love it when people I don't even know speculate and put in writing what they think I would or wouldn't do.

    With that being the case, I think JFLetcher would worry himself so much about extending this that he'd hire it done.

    JAP>

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    (44.057116, -123.103394)
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    I just love it when people I don't even know speculate and put in writing what they think I would or wouldn't do.

    With that being the case, I think JFLetcher would worry himself so much about extending this that he'd hire it done.

    JAP>
    So how would you do it?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
    So how would you do it?
    How would you do it?

    JAP>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •