Thread: transformer

transformer

What kind transformer would I need to supply a DC motor controller with 330-360 ( max 400 volt) volt single phase from 240 supply?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy brbooks View Post
    What kind transformer would I need to supply a DC motor controller with 330-360 ( max 400 volt) volt single phase from 240 supply?
    I'd probably go for 240V/480V but check what maximum voltage the controller can take. Is the controller regenerative four quad SCR? You might wany more margin if it is.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    I'd probably go for 240V/480V but check what maximum voltage the controller can take. Is the controller regenerative four quad SCR? You might wany more margin if it is.
    It is a 4 quad controller Eurotherm 514c-32 Has max voltage of 415 and 32 amps. I think I want to be around 330-360 volt

Quote Originally Posted by tommy brbooks View Post
    It is a 4 quad controller Eurotherm 514c-32 Has max voltage of 415 and 32 amps. I think I want to be around 330-360 volt

Probably the cheapest way is to use two boost transformers.

http://www.buckboostcalculator.com/

Two 20% boost transformers. That would give you 345 volts.

Tommy, I think you should check your specs again, appears that there is a Eurotherm branded unit and a Parker unit with the same model number and specs. Don't know which one you have or if your purchasing one or if there is a difference between branded units.

The information provided in the manual and online listings both are contradictory.

Clips from the Parker manual.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Description.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	19885Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ElectricalRatings.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	19886

The description say's 110 to 415V
    the specs say 110 to 480V +/- 10%
    Also requires an auxiliary power source of 120 or 240V +/- 10%

If the drive you have goes to 480V that could simplify your transformer search
    Another option would be to run it directly at 240V if that gives enough DC output voltage for your needs.

Even the online Eurothem listing, given above, has the same contradictions.
    Top section shows 400VAC max, further down shows 480VAC, listing says it is switch selectable

This online Parker listing shows similar 400VAC near the top and 480V further down.

Are these the units you have? Maybe a call to a distributor could clear up things with your exact model number.

There is a way to wire up a 480/240 -120/240 4 winding transformer, into an autotransformer, to get the ratio your considering (376V).
    but looking at the specs, that special connection doesn't appear necessary.

Check your equipment, and look at the manual for the exact unit you have or are considering.

MTW