Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mislabeled submersible pump?

Mislabeled submersible pump?

To clarify some of the confusion:

These are both well pumps; they drilled two holes. The pump I’m having the issue with is not connected to the plumbing right now; it’s just an open 3” pipe coming out of the ground next to the holding tank. They’ve still got some plumbing to do to connect it to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post

These are both well pumps; they drilled two holes. The pump I’m having the issue with is not connected to the plumbing right now; it’s just an open 3” pipe coming out of the ground next to the holding tank. They’ve still got some plumbing to do to connect it to the tank.

That's why you're having the problem, it's not connected to anything. Too bad it took 21 posts to get there....

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow View Post
    That's why you're having the problem, it's not connected to anything. Too bad it took 21 posts to get there....
    Well sometimes we get there in one post and go on for twenty or more.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post

I agree with the cow.

Open line gives less flow restriction which means more volume is being pumped = more load on the motor.

You need same conditions on both pumps before you can expect same motor load conditions.

I have occasionally had irrigation wells trip on motor overload before the irrigation system gets filled with water. That is because the well flow rate is higher and loading the motor more until the system gets filled. Once system is filled flow rate drops and motor current is under overload setting.
    Last edited by kwired; 03-12-18 at 09:11 AM.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    Well sometimes we get there in one post and go on for twenty or more.
    Great point Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Cow View Post
    But look at how much we learned

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Simplified Centrifugal Pump rules for electricians:
    1) Motor Load = liquid flow
    2) Liquid flow = pump outlet pressure - head pressure - restriction (valves, pipe friction , elbows etc.)

So less restriction and/or less head pressure = more flow from the same pump, more flow then = more load on the motor. If a pump was designed INTO a system BASED ON an amount of head pressure and restriction, but you change that or don't connect it, the motor will often overload. The same is true if a pipe breaks by the way.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Fans also

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    Simplified Centrifugal Pump rules for electricians:
    1) Motor Load = liquid flow
    2) Liquid flow = pump outlet pressure - head pressure - restriction (valves, pipe friction , elbows etc.)

So less restriction and/or less head pressure = more flow from the same pump, more flow then = more load on the motor. If a pump was designed INTO a system BASED ON an amount of head pressure and restriction, but you change that or don't connect it, the motor will often overload. The same is true if a pipe breaks by the way.
    To add on, same thing with blowers running open ended without backpressure.
    A cowboy may get thrown , but they always get up and walk forward.

Quote Originally Posted by just the cowboy View Post
    To add on, same thing with blowers running open ended without backpressure.
    Depends on the type of blower.
    Not true for positive displacement blowers, for example.

A wise electrician I worked with said "its always an electrical problem", this is what the mechanics would say...when the overloads tripped from the pump being ragged up.
    check the settings in your VFD, the ones I work on you set the motor FLA and the VFD won't allow more current than that.
    What is the SF, most submersibles are 1.10?
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo