Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Why I do not understand 220.87

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Tujunga, CA

    Why I do not understand 220.87

    I have a tenant improvement project located in a recently build, half-rented, multi- unit shopping center.

    I submitted a set of plan for plan check
    after days, the plan checker commented that I need to comply with 220-87 on the existing 2000A multimeter service.

    What should I do????
    the shopping center is 40% full with tenants.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    LA basin, CA
    220.87 exception:
    "The recording shall reflect the maximum demand of the feeder or service by being taken when the building or space is occupied.."

    Your 40% occupancy is measured for 30 days, submitted under 220.87, and the remaining 60% of service is extrapolated for future expansion;
    90.1(B) - Exempt from NEC
    90.8(A) - Wiring Planning

    If AHJ demands sizing service Mains OCP for current 40% occupancy, you could attach a change order to such AHJ orders. Needed for adding smaller breakers that fit same gear, and Service-call costs when higher occupancy trips Mains and larger breakers are required. The change order can direct all tenant law suits for power-loss damage to the responsible planning department, and document your objections.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts