Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Trip curve breaker classification

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Fairfield County, Connecticut

    Trip curve breaker classification

    I heard that in Europe circuit breakers are divided by trip curve classifications, e.g. B, C, D, each class having its application (resi, commercial, industrial).
    I am not aware of such "flavors" in the US breaker applications.
    In any event, I have not come across this in residential. The only thing close to it that I ever came across was the AIC rating.
    So, is there such a thing here as trip curve classes?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Northern illinois
    I don't know if there are any circuit breakers made this way but the difference between b c and d class has to do with the instantaneous trip. You might use a Class D on a Transformer because it takes more current to trip on instantaneous but has the same trip curve on normal overloads. I don't know that small circuit breakers here are done that way but you can buy molded case circuit breakers in larger sizes that have adjustments for such things. You can also get fuses with similar trip curves for special purposes like Transformers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts