Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ice in conduits

Quote Originally Posted by Dzboyce View Post
    I use steam inside frozen water lines. I’ve adapted a drywall steamer to a roll of 3/8” polyethylene tubing. I slowly pushi it into a frozen water line till I get thru the blockage. A couple cups of water might thaw out 10-29 feet of water line. Warm water would work, as mentioned previously, but could be a LOT of work to get a recirculating setup going.
    A steamer might work for 20-30' but would probably have trouble with 100' (maybe a high-temp pressure washer?). It all really depends on how much of the underground conduit is full of water- if my calcs are correct, 10' of 2" pipe holds around 3.5 gallons of water. I'm not going to calculate the heat of fusion for that, but as anyone knows who's defrosted a roast in the microwave, it won't be trivial.

Warm glycol or methanol might work, but again, it depends on how much ice there is to melt.

Again, these are all great ideas.All conduits have pull strings and I think that alcohol will wick its way down the string, we will see and report sucess or plan B or C....The hot engine exhast is also interesting. Thanks.

Steam, only way to go, then drag rags through it till they are dry. Thawed 500' of 4" PVC in 20 mins with a steam on wheels company. Hot air is a waste of time Glycol might work but not as clean as steam.