Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: European treadmills on 208v

Quote Originally Posted by Guanac View Post
    Hi, I got a call from the gym manager today telling me he is having problems with the treadmills. Apparently they are 220v connected at 208v. There are 6 treadmill, 2 of them have constant problems with the electronic board and have changed them a bunch of times, 1 of the has occasional problemas and the other 3 have worked fine. Initially I was thinking to just add a transformer for each of them, but the issue that concerns me, is why 3 machines work fine without any issues. Am I missing something?
    Thanks!
    A photo of a nameplate would help those damiliar with IEC identify problems.

Hi, I got a call from the gym manager today telling me he is having problems with the treadmills. Apparently they are 220v connected at 208v. There are 6 treadmill, 2 of them have constant problems with the electronic board and have changed them a bunch of times, 1 of the has occasional problemas and the other 3 have worked fine. Initially I was thinking to just add a transformer for each of them, but the issue that concerns me, is why 3 machines work fine without any issues. Am I missing something?
    Thanks!
    Just who has changed what?

Are these under warranty or did they buy some used stuff of unknown provenance.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    I find it hard to believe that a 220v unit will have trouble running on a 208V system. The boards should not have an issue with that small voltage difference
    Good chance the board is the DC power supply for the belt motor. Not just for the DC power to operate the user display panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony S View Post
    EU equipment has a fairly wide operating range to cope with the so called “unified” declared voltage of 230V +10% -6%. The UK and Germany being at the +10% end, Belgium at -6%. 208V is out of the range. What also may be the problem is 208V is Ph→Ph. 230V Ph→N. As it’s the control PCB failing I’d go for a problem with the neutral.

I’ve had this voltage problem before when we imported machinery from Belgium. The manufacturers wouldn’t guarantee the gear unless we supplied the correct voltage. We ended up with one side of the factory on 380V the other side on 433V.
    What also may be the problem is 208V is Ph→Ph. 230V Ph→N. As it’s the control PCB failing I’d go for a problem with the neutral.
    Good point.

It may also void the safety Listing for the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesco View Post
    It may also void the safety Listing for the equipment.
    Every chance.

As I said earlier the Belgians wouldn’t guarantee equipment operated at the wrong voltage. A transformer to give 230V Ph→N is the only way I can see to get out of this situation.
    The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Not enough information.
    It could be a voltage problem, a frequency problem, or a combination of both. Lower voltage and higher frequency....................hm.

This seems to be a recurring issue here. Foreign imports intended for a different supply system.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    Just who has changed what?

Are these under warranty or did they buy some used stuff of unknown provenance.
    Local supplier has changed them. They say is the voltage and that it is not covered by warranty. They don’t seem to know what’s going eather. I’ll try to get a picture of the nameplate.

I’ll try to get a picture of the nameplate.
    Supplier also a says they have installed them on a single phase, 240v systems without any problems. Wouldn’t that rule out the neutral problem?

A couple of 'concerns' if the equipment is designed for a UK supply:

1). Double pole switching/fusing : If the design is intended for use on our 230V Ph-N supply where the N is accepted to be maintained at ground potential, it may incorporate only single pole switching & fusing (in the 'hot' line only). This may not be compatible when operated at 208V (ie. hot-hot) in the US where double pole switching & fusing would be needed.

2). Filters on the front end - if the front end of the integral PSU incorporates a delta filter network connected between Hot, N & E that filter will be assuming that N & E are at the same potential. When operated on a 208V L-L system that relationship no longer holds & each leg is 120V from earth.

As others have stated, our UK voltage is 230V +10%, -6% (although its due to move to -10%). Giving a absolute min design voltage of 207V. I understand that the tolerance on the 208V in the US is -13% at the point of utilisation... so a design expecting a 'nominal' 230V would still be expected to work at 181V... that's a big ask!

Are these 'Tunturi' treadmills by any chance??

Supplier also a says they have installed them on a single phase, 240v systems without any problems. Wouldn’t that rule out the neutral problem?
    I don’t think it would solve the problem. The machine is designed for a Ph→N system, if the control board is looking for an earthed (grounded) reference it isn’t going to find it.

I don’t think you can escape from installing a transformer.

At the end of the day you have to reconcile the cost of the replacement boards and loss of income from the machines against the cost of a transformer. Sorry to say, the ball is in your court.
    The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianWint View Post
    A couple of 'concerns' if the equipment is designed for a UK supply:

1). Double pole switching/fusing : If the design is intended for use on our 230V Ph-N supply where the N is accepted to be maintained at ground potential, it may incorporate only single pole switching & fusing (in the 'hot' line only). This may not be compatible when operated at 208V (ie. hot-hot) in the US where double pole switching & fusing would be needed.

2). Filters on the front end - if the front end of the integral PSU incorporates a delta filter network connected between Hot, N & E that filter will be assuming that N & E are at the same potential. When operated on a 208V L-L system that relationship no longer holds & each leg is 120V from earth.

As others have stated, our UK voltage is 230V +10%, -6% (although its due to move to -10%). Giving a absolute min design voltage of 207V. I understand that the tolerance on the 208V in the US is -13% at the point of utilisation... so a design expecting a 'nominal' 230V would still be expected to work at 181V... that's a big ask!

Are these 'Tunturi' treadmills by any chance??
    And then there is the frequency difference to consider.
    Midlands UK - are you a Brummie?
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.