Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Generac vs. Kohler

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I have heard it said that they don't call them Junkerac for nothing.

-Hal
    The complaints I have heard about the Generacs seem to be as much about the installers as the generators themselves. OTOH, I think there are more of them around here so there are likely more complaints.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mkgrady View Post
    I downloaded an 80 page manual and a few other documents but I could not find wiring instructions or diagrams.
    https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs...ll_12_2017.pdf
    ABC

"Eschew Obfuscation!"

I’ve heard that Koehler is better, but I just talked to a guy a couple days ago to look at his and found he had a tied up motor.

Quote Originally Posted by mopowr steve View Post
    I’ve heard that Koehler is better, but I just talked to a guy a couple days ago to look at his and found he had a tied up motor.
    What does tied up motor mean? If it means seized up - did it run out of oil for some reason and low oil switch failed? Or they maybe didn't change oil when they were supposed to?
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Kohlar is now owned by Cummins. Very good support in Alaska.Off grid people around here prefer a Gen Set Called Northern Light Generaters, assembled by Company out of Seattle called Alaska Marine Deisel. Motors are liquid cooled, Japanese and are renowned for long life(20,000+ hrs),and ease of starting down to -20F with out heat. Generac is consider inferior to both Kohlar and Northern Lights.

What is the differences that some consider to be inferior?

Generac seems to market more to the consumer (or at least through the big box stores) then others, but that alone shouldn't necessarily make them inferior. Do they have poorly designed engine or alternator? Less robust enclosures? They have both liquid cooled and air cooled units, but air cooled isn't necessarily all that bad, keeps the cost down on smaller units.

Without some evidence this isn't really any different then preferring a Ford over a Chevy or a Square D over a Cutler Hammer.

If you read reviews on these products you'll think that they're all junk. I was researching one for my house and decided on a portable instead.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    If you read reviews on these products you'll think that they're all junk. I was researching one for my house and decided on a portable instead.
    I can agree to some extent, especially that none I have seen have that robust cabinet you would have seen many years ago - but that is no different then you used to see heavier metal panels on car bodies as well. Though the overall weight is not the same issue as with a car it does still lessen the cost some. Engines are also lighter and more efficient, but maybe can't take as much abuse or overloading as the older ones either.

Ive installed some generacs, never had any problems. OF course that is a rather small sample size. IMO they dont need to be heavy duty or robust, they only run a few dozen hours a year.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    One has to take reviews with a grain of salt. For one thing, people are far more likely to write a bad review than a good one. Just human nature.

But really, most of the people writing the reviews are not technically competent to understand much about generators anyway so why would their comments matter any as far as the technical issues go. As far as their impressions of the installers and dealers of them, that is just normal business kind of thing and I take that more seriously.

Although I also find it ironic that you can see reviews for the same dealer that make it look like he is the devil incarnate and others that make him look angelic. Just hard to make sense of reviews sometimes.

Personally, I think for a backup generator that will likely run more in test mode than actually being used in a power down situation, I think the reality is that most of the name brand gensets are quite adequate.

Every time I have a power outage I think about getting a generator. A few years back I was getting them 3 or 4 times a year, often for extended periods of time. That went away after the buried the power lines that used to run down the middle of my street, so the urgency has left me.

I still from time to time think it might be a good idea but I just can't see spending the money on something that will get such limited use.

However, I am considering getting a small generator for camping and maybe I will just install a pass through plug from out back into the house so I can use it if needed. I think I could keep the furnace, refrigerator, and hot water heater going if the power was out. Maybe not all three at the same time but I have plenty of extension cords and the hot water heater is only needed for a half hour or so before I shower, and the furnace only needs to run a few hours a day to keep the house warm "enough". The frig only runs a few hours a day anyway.

I have been looking at either the $80 HF generator or a small sine wave inverter unit. The HF inverter version is 2kW and often sells for $400-450 and has a lot of supporters. The honda version is almost twice the price. But both are quite heavy by comparison with the smaller HF generator making it less desirable for camping purposes.
    Bob