Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Generac vs. Kohler

I just looked at a fairly new TV. The data plate said 100-250 volts, 50 or 60hz. I dont think it is very picky about its power input
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    I just looked at a fairly new TV. The data plate said 100-250 volts, 50 or 60hz. I dont think it is very picky about its power input
    Well my boom box didn't get hit with 250V and it still went pffffft.

I think modern electronics are more robust, especially with SMPS being installed in everything now. I have heard that furnace control boards can be blown by little generators, although that may be anecdotal since furnace control board go out all the time anyway.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

I have also been looking at some of the lithium ion battery power stations. They are kind of pricey but for a short-term power outage they might make some sense. They also make no noise. They can be recharged off of solar panels if you have some. They make some sense for camping cuz of the quietness. Did I mention they are kind of pricey? That's pretty much the primary flaw with using them.
    Bob

Most battery types have a finite life, a maximum number of charge and discharge Cycles. Lithium ion can also catch fire if damaged.

As for the Generac versus Kohler topic, Kohler generators must be more than just a little bit more expensive than Generac, because Generac is all you see here. I bet they outnumber Kohler 100 to one here in the residential market. As for Generac reliability issues, we have had few problems with the units we've installed. Long term, I don't know how they will fare, haven't seen too many units over 10 years old

As to gars question, I would define dirty power as anything does not have a true sine wave output at a stable frequency. Some inverters have a square wave output, some generators deviate too much from 60 hertz
    Last edited by JFletcher; 03-18-18 at 11:29 PM.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

hmmm, ok, so when you get the new TV try feeding it "120v" 60Hz sawtooth.

Quote Originally Posted by FionaZuppa View Post
    hmmm, ok, so when you get the new TV try feeding it "120v" 60Hz sawtooth.
    I dobut it would matter. It's just going to rectified, filtered, and switched at high speeds.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Were you serious? (about the first part). I had a Milwaukee boom box that I blew up, but that was because I hacked into it so I could run it off 12volts and I give it wrong polarity IT did take me a while to get over it.
    I blew up a UPS like that one time. Strip the ends off of it to hook it up to a riding lawn mower battery, forgot which was which, 50 50 90, you know what happened.... a rather unceremonious pop, didn't work anymore.

The second UPS....
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

I dobut it would matter. It's just going to rectified, filtered, and switched at high speeds.
    I think it does matter. But dont listen to me, call up Cyberpower folks and ask them why their PFC output stage is important.