Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Generac vs. Kohler

Generac vs. Kohler

I have wired lots of Generac generators and no Kohlers. I have a customer that picked out a 20KW Kohler and a 200 amp ATS and wants to know if I will wire it. My response was to not buy anything until I do a site visit to see what they really need. Not sure why they picked Kohler but I will try to steer them to a Generac because I am very familiar with how they get wired.

My question is what wiring differences will I find between the Generac and the Kohler? General gets wired with the power output circuit and six control wires all in the same conduit back to the ATS. I use THHN/THWN for all the wires. No separate battery charge circuit, no block heater circuit. Are the Kohlers the same or different?

Download a copy of the installation manual well before you start and study it carefully. Also, the owner will need to pay a generator startup company to maintain warranty.

The Kohler is a far superior product, IHO.
    ABC

"Eschew Obfuscation!"

Quote Originally Posted by electricguy61 View Post
    Download a copy of the installation manual well before you start and study it carefully. Also, the owner will need to pay a generator startup company to maintain warranty.

I also noticed that the Kohler seems to provide control for load shedding but they do not offer a relay. I suspect they just provide dry contacts in the ATS and we supply our own relays. That works fine for the AC where we would just interrupt the signal to the AC condenser but loads like an oven will need a big relay. Generac offers the relays in a nice enclosure. Looks like I would have to build something to control heavy loads with Kohler.

I just installed a Kohler and we ordered the Kohler load shedding relays from the distributer. They’re simply relays in a NEMA 3R box, rated 50 amps (double pole)

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Kohler-GM92001/p76781.html
    ABC

"Eschew Obfuscation!"

Also, the owner will need to pay a generator startup company to maintain warranty. Is this true of most generator manufacturers?

The Kohler is a far superior product, IHO. I have heard this as well, but have no first hand experience.
    I am looking at buying one of the $80 HF generators for camping use. I have heard nothing but good things about it from people that actually have them.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I am looking at buying one of the $80 HF generators for camping use. I have heard nothing but good things about it from people that actually have them.
    I'm pretty sure you are implying that the HF gen is crap but i do't get your point.

I just installed a Kohler and we ordered the Kohler load shedding relays from the distributer. They’re simply relays in a NEMA 3R box, rated 50 amps (double pole)

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Kohler-GM92001/p76781.html
    Ok Thanks I found them from your post. Similar to the Generac relays.

Quote Originally Posted by mkgrady View Post
    I'm pretty sure you are implying that the HF gen is crap but i do't get your point.
    quite the opposite. people that actually have them rave about them.
    Bob

I have heard it said that they don't call them Junkerac for nothing.

-Hal

I downloaded an 80 page manual and a few other documents but I could not find wiring instructions or diagrams.