Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Megohm Testing Cost for residential

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,838
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeMore View Post
    hired a Electrical Engineering firm to evaluate the home.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post

    IMO, total rewire down to the bare studs. Nothing less.

    Probably come down to a rewire anyway. Just because the engineering company evaluates the system doesn't mean they will sign off on it.

    They will probably spend as much on testing as a rewire would cost.

    But the EC may get paid for both testing and rewire.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,838
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeMore View Post
    I'm figuring 3 hours per circuit which includes mapping each circuit, disconnecting all devices, then Insulation Resistance testing all circuits and reconnecting all devices.
    You will end up keeping records of every test you make for that engineering company.

    You have given them a set price which is better than most will do so stick to it.

    In the end you may get paid to test and rewire.


    Even if this wiring passes the IR test the engineering firm may want Arc Fault breakers and smoke detectors installed to code.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    woodbridge, ct. USA
    Posts
    1,097
    Back to photonsparky's question, people still in the house? Sounds like maybe the building or electrical inspector should be involved if they are not already. they can condemn it if it's unsafe. Or the insurance company should put them up somewheere for a week and let you work. Sounds like a nitemare. Would you have to meg just home runs?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    3,645
    You would have to meg everything.

    -Hal

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,838
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeMore View Post
    Thank-You!!! What is going to take so much time is, at the end of the day the power has to be back on. Yes, if I could go in and disconnect everything and then do the testing, it would not take too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
    Back to photonsparky's question, people still in the house? Sounds like maybe the building or electrical inspector should be involved if they are not already. they can condemn it if it's unsafe. Or the insurance company should put them up somewheere for a week and let you work. Sounds like a nitemare. Would you have to meg just home runs?

    When the power is shut off by the utility they normally won't cut power back on until there is an inspection by the local jurisdiction saying that it's safe. You would have to permit and get an inspector involved.

    In many jurisdictions they won't let people live in a house without power. Other jurisdictions don't get as formal about it.

    I restored power to a house last year where a tenant had been there for almost two months before the insurance company decided they would pay. No one seemed overly concerned that the poor guy had been living in the dark.

    If a jurisdiction requires a PE to sign off on the job before they will restore power then you have to do whatever the engineering firm wants as far as megging.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Windsor, CO NEC: 2017
    Posts
    16,200
    Air is an insulator. I would be concerned that megging won't tell the whole story. I agree with those that recommend cutting to the chase and pushing for a rewire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •