Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Megohm Testing Cost for residential

Megohm Testing Cost for residential

I need to get a feel on Megohm testing(Insulation Resistance Testing) cost for residential. The insurance company says I'm too high but the customer tells me that no one else has even been to his house. This is a 4000 square foot custom home(Very upscale with 10 and 12 foot ceilings)with 39 circuits that got hit by lightening hard with major damage. I'm figuring 3 hours per circuit which includes mapping each circuit, disconnecting all devices, then Insulation Resistance testing all circuits and reconnecting all devices.

Just off the top of my head, I suspect that 3 hours time 39 circuits will really be on the high side.
    Maybe not a bad number for one circuit, but there definitely will be savings in the tracing and identification when you are doing all the circuits in the house.
    Presumably whatever number you come up with will be presented to the insurance company for approval before they will commit to pay.
    From what you describe I do not see any local competition to drive the bid/estimate down, but it still seems high to me.

The best guidance, though, will come from someone who has actually done such a job.

Thank-You!!! What is going to take so much time is, at the end of the day, the power has to be back on. Yes, if I could go in and disconnect everything and then do the testing, it would not take too long. But to map out every circuit and be 100% correct with every device on that circuit takes time(If I'm wrong and burn something up, after sending 500 volts DC through the circuit, it comes out of my pocket).

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Hope fully ‘end of day’ means ‘end of project’. No one should be living there now if the kind of damage requiring megging is suspected.
    Tom
    TBLO

The only home I worked on with noticeable lightning damage had tracking between the shell of the lampholders and the screw holding the base to the fixture. Neutral to EG tracking. To bad I didn’t have access to a megger back then.
    Tom
    TBLO

This home was hit so hard that the gutter joints were burnt all away around the house. We found a spot where the romex was almost burnt in half at staple locations, light fixtures destroyed, dimmers burnt, GFCI's burnt, security system burnt, TV's burnt, garage door openers burnt, etc. etc. The insurance company refused to do a Insulation Resistance Test and hired a Electrical Engineering firm to evaluate the home. They came back and said the home needs a Insulation Resistance Test 100% in their report, check the ground resistance at the point of the electrical service, and numerous other things. The insurance company shot themselves in the foot on hiring the Electrical Engineering firm because now they have to do the IR test. They are saying I'm to high on my price but they haven't been able to produce another Electrical Contractor to even bid on the house in 2 months. Like I said earlier, this is a upscale home with lots of options(Not a easy job to say the least).

Sounds like you and your insurance company will be on the hook for your lifetime. It’s no wonder they have no other bidders.

IMO, total rewire down to the bare studs. Nothing less.

Talk to your insurance carrier.
    Tom
    TBLO

Not my insurance, it is the homeowners insurance. Sorry, I misunderstood your post. You are right, I'll own that house for a lifetime!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    It’s no wonder they have no other bidders.

IMO, total rewire down to the bare studs. Nothing less.

Talk to your insurance carrier.
    Now that you described the damage I don't see what insulation testing is going to do except waste time. Likely the results will show that substantial amounts of wiring will have to be replaced so just cut to the chase and do a total demo/rewire. That's probably why there were no other bidders. Just remember, insurance companies are scum. They will try to get away with paying the least amount of money and doing the least amount of work they can. You, on the other hand will be on the hook forever if you follow their advice, leave some wiring in place and a fire ensues.

I would recommend a total rewire or run, don't walk away from this one.

-Hal

I think diesel cost too much too, but if I can only get it from one place "who ya gonna call"?
    With that much damage visible I wouldn't trust a megger or put y company on the line, If you do the job, you better have your lawyer make some blue paper stating that your testing isn't an approval for getting a c.o.; only numbers on paper no liability, no conclusions by you, for engineering review.