User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switch question

A stupid question, how to know if a disconnect switch can be used to multi panels or just one single panel. Does it show something like poles inside that we can determine? More detail will be appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure I follow your question. Please give all of the pertinent details. What are you trying to do, at what voltage / phase / current, under what conditions etc. etc. etc.

"Switch" is not a very descriptive term, even "disconnect switch" is not that much more helpful. There are literally hundreds of different kinds out there.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    defishu:

What I interpret from your post is that rather than having one disconnect controlling one feeder circuit that goes to multiple panels you are looking for a switch with enough independent poles that you can interrupt all the hot leads of several independent circuits.
    If that is the case, and if you are thinking of the knife switch type units in an enclosure with an external operating handle, I do not know of any that routinely offer more than just 2 or 3 poles for one single phase or three phase circuit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    Not sure I follow your question. Please give all of the pertinent details. What are you trying to do, at what voltage / phase / current, under what conditions etc. etc. etc.

"Switch" is not a very descriptive term, even "disconnect switch" is not that much more helpful. There are literally hundreds of different kinds out there.
    Name:  887621872410.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  31.0 KBdoes this one mean we can have a maximum of 6 fuses, and each of them can handle a panel or feed the equipment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defishu View Post
Size:  31.0 KBdoes this one mean we can have a maximum of 6 fuses, and each of them can handle a panel or feed the equipment?
    That looks to me like a three pole switch with only three fuseholders, but two lugs per each side of each pole - designed for paralleling two conductors per line.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Square D has four and six pole "Safety switches" in their catalog.

Don't really know if there is a specific intended use for them though, never seen one in the wild either.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defishu View Post
    Maximum of six disconnects, not fuses.

This disconnect switch could serve more than one load depending on how you use rules governing Taps.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Square D has four and six pole "Safety switches" in their catalog.

Don't really know if there is a specific intended use for them though, never seen one in the wild either.
    4P used for where you need to switch the neutral, such as a hazardous location.
    6P used as motor disconnect for a two speed, two winding. Used several of em back it the day before VFD's were common.

MTW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTW View Post
    4P used for where you need to switch the neutral, such as a hazardous location.
    6P used as motor disconnect for a two speed, two winding. Used several of em back it the day before VFD's were common.

MTW
    You wouldn't be allowed to put fuses in the neutral in a fused disconnect - solid jumper could be used I guess, and have even seen that on corner grounded delta systems.

Another thought though not many encounter it is two phase systems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Maximum of six disconnects, not fuses.
    that pic posted, its a "3pole fused" disco.