Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: So do you want to see how they addressed the Peninsular Issue?

24" along the wall AND no more than 36" to any point on the countertop. If somebody wants a sacrificial altar then they need to install pop-ups.

Problem solved.

-Hal

Most islands & peninsulas are not longer than 6'. One in the middle would make this compliant.

The issue I see with the 2017 is that technical a receptacle at the end of a peninsula or island is not compliant. It must be installed on the long dimension.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Most islands & peninsulas are not longer than 6'. One in the middle would make this compliant.
    If you're talking about the new proposed language in the OP, my interpretation is that it involves measuring from the receptacle to any point on the countertop. So for a 6' long countertop, the far corners would be more than 36" away from the middle. [Unless it is a semicircular countertop. :-)]

Cheers, Wayne

Just thinking here, if someone did not want exposed outlets, couldn't they be mounted in like a semicircle shaped lazy Susan type device in the wall? Rotated one way, you would have your normal backsplash. Rotated 180 degrees, and you have receptacles showing. Wiring coming from underneath in the wall cavity so as to not get twisted up, and the Lazy Susan could only rotate 180 degrees one way before it locks into place, then could be rotated back to have a normal looking wall or backsplash.

Such a device could also be mounted in the counter. By its half-spherical (or cylindrical) nature, the receptacles would be above the countertop, and be much harder to spill water or other liquids into.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Drop down with task lighting from ceiling that has gfi circuit in it. The circuit could be retractable, or a pedestal off the floor, or get with the stone contractor and make a stone box like a floor box. Or...
    Looks like a rule looking for a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Where in the code does it state that it must be listed for spill. I assumed it did but how is one to know that it is required.
    406.5(E) requires that they be listed for use in countertops. The countertop listing requires passing the liquid spill test. Pop-ups listed for "work surfaces" do not require passing the liquid spill test.
    Don, Illinois
    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Dr. Rick Rigsby
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Which part of 210.52?
    It doesn't but Hubbell mentions that theirs complies with UL 498 Section 146:

Built and listed to be water
    resistant to a half gallon of
    liquid spilled on the device

-Hal
    While 210.52 does not have that requirement, 406.5(E) does. It is part of the listing requirements for a listed countertop pop-up.
    Don, Illinois
    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Dr. Rick Rigsby
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)