Do I need OCPD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

This controller takes 2 30AMP circuits to run 8 basketball hoops. Each hoop wench is 11 amps. The conductors going to each hoop wench is #12THHN. From the controller the conductors come from a relay to the wench that has thermal overloads only. The only OCP is the 30amp breakers feeding the controller. Do I need to apply the tap rule and install overcurrent protection for the conductors at the wenches or at the controller?

iwire

Staff member
I would assume that in the controller are individual motor overload units for each motor or each motor is internally protected.

Have you checked for these?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Since the motors have thermal protection and your 30 amp breaker meets the requirement of 430.52, IMO you meet Code.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Actually it is more likely a winch, connected to a fixed cable and pulley system designed into the hinged hoop support structure than a general purpose hoist which supplies vertical lift only.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Since the motors have thermal protection and your 30 amp breaker meets the requirement of 430.52, IMO you meet Code.
I'm thinking it has to comply with 430.53 Several Motors or Loads on One Branch Circuit.

Controller uses 2x30A circuits for 8 motors, so it is likely 4 per circuit. The easiest of the requirement options is (B) Smallest Motor Protected. Need actual HP of motor, voltage, and phasing to make this determination. At 11A nameplate, that would put it in the 1-1/2HP at 208V (table 11.0A) or 2HP for 230V (table 12A). Max SC/GFP for any single motor is 250% on 1/t breakers... thus 27.5A and 30A respectively, and the 27.5A calc can be rounded up to the 30A standard size OCPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.