Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So do you want to see how they addressed the Peninsular Issue?

So do you want to see how they addressed the Peninsular Issue?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KitchenCounterandIslands.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	19896

Hope you can see the image. It is extracted from TerraView and is the CMP 2 solution to the issue of the connecting edge and how to determine the receptacles at the islands and peninsular but also covers the counters also. Here is their code panel response as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CMP2Kicthen.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	19897

I see more issues that this will create......

Ahhh...nevermind.....the screen captures are too small and I am too lazy to type it all. Basically, it is getting rid of the island and peninsular rules and saying you have to have a receptacle within 3' of any point on the surface and so while that may be ok, it also gave an option for wall spacing to use the same option which makes the normal 24" rules the ability to option of out.....well you will see it when it is actually released. I was hoping the images would work but they are just too small.

This image may help explain it....and will help with your public comments to possible fix this unless you think this makes it better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MasterTheNEC; 03-14-18 at 01:43 PM.

I see big problems with this on peninsulars and islands. These units are not designed for receptacles except at the ends, in most cases anyway.

Better talk with designers before they build those islands and peninsulars
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

I added a bit more to make sure EVERYONE knows what they are trying to do.....Sorry for the crude image...I am at the NEMA Meetings and created this on the fly.....the final graphic will be cleaner but wanted you all to see one of the first drafts on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MasterTheNEC; 03-14-18 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    I see big problems with this on peninsulars and islands. These units are not designed for receptacles except at the ends, in most cases anyway.

Better talk with designers before they build those islands and peninsular
    I see even more issues with this.....basically it is giving you an "OR" option which seems to remove the 24" wall spacing requirement since it gives an option now to space at 24" or so that no point is more than 36 in.....if you read their substantiation they say it can be either.

Anyway.....They deviated from mu PI which would have solved the issue that the 2017 NEC Created. So I urge you all to get your PC's ready and enjoy the process because there are ALOT of big changes coming in the 2020.

Pretty ridiculous,

If you have a Very large island or peninsula 1 or even 2 receptacles will not work. I did a home years ago and the island took 2 complete slabs it was like 5 feet by 10 feet with a sizable overhang at the width. This scenario will present some new solutions to deal with.

Paul, I take it that at this point that information is not available to the public...just to panel members?
    Don, Illinois
    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Dr. Rick Rigsby
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

It seems every code cycle they're changing something in a kitchen.... makes me wonder how I didn't starve to death or electrocute myself growing up in a kitchen built in 1953...
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    Paul, I take it that at this point that information is not available to the public...just to panel members?
    And to those who attended as visitors......the first revision in print is only available to panel members but again this was based on all public information that was shared at the meetings in Hilton Head, SC and was again open to the public. I as a panel member will concur that the language online is accurate to what the image depicts.

Still needs to pass 2/3rd vote but wanted to give folks time to develop some well defined Public Comments if this moves forward. The use of option (a) or (b) to me creates an issue with traditional wall countertop receptacle placement rules to now allow a 36" component that will cause confusion. The (b) rules would work fine for a peninsular or island perse' but its the issue with the option of (a) or (b) with regards to all receptacle placement on countertops, even the wall receptacles that concern me.