Installation of receptacles on I.T. racks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron pfeiffer

Looking for article or info on wiring methods for installing 120v 20amp devices in 1900 boxes on to the racks that are bolted to the floor and fed from above a drop ceiling. Are there specific piping or attaching to these racks that I need to attend too.

luckylerado

I do not think this will be specifically addressed in NEC. TIA may have something to say about it if it applies. We typically do 1 of 2 methods.

Attach to the center of the rack or the horizontal ladder rack on top or attach to the vertical management adjacent to the rack.

If no special codes, you can attach to the rack on the inside, just don't block the equipment mounting screw holes

Capture.JPG

ron pfeiffer

I did the installation like the diagram shows. An engineer from Motorola stated to the department head where this is located that the installation was not up to code, I suspect 2014 but I can not find anything that would restrict me from 1/2" EMT from the ceiling directly into the 1900 box.

iwire

Staff member
I did the installation like the diagram shows. An engineer from Motorola stated to the department head where this is located that the installation was not up to code, I suspect 2014 but I can not find anything that would restrict me from 1/2" EMT from the ceiling directly into the 1900 box.

Not an NEC code, did the job specifications require you follow other standards or codes as well as the NEC?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What are you working on?

Status
Not open for further replies.