Question about moving a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm upgrading a split service (100 amps each) into 1 service, that is, one meter and one new 200 amp panel. The only way to accommodate the new panel is to move it 2 feet to the right (because of a new washer/dryer install). Therefore, I have to extend all the branch circuits to the new panel, as they will not reach as they are. I'm using a 2 foot wire trough with knockouts to gather all the existing wires, and splicing them inside the trough. I was hoping to feed them all into the new panel through a short section of 2" PVC conduit on a side knockout in the panel. Is this a violation of 312.5(c)? Will I have to run them all individually to the new panel?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You are permitted to connect the wireway to the new panel with PVC. If the PVC is 24" or less you will avoid any derating issues. The wireway is limited to 30 CCC's at any cross-section before you need to derate the conductors. If you have more than 30 CCC's you might choose another method to avoid the derating.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Thanks! I only have about 10 circuits coming through the PVC, so only 2 ccc's. My concern is that they wouldn't be "secured or fastened" with any kind of clamp at the entrance of the PVC. The existing wires would however be clamped at the top of the trough, and then spliced afterward, so I don't know if an inspector would consider that "fastened" enough, because technically, the new wires (splices to the panel) would themselves not be fastened.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Pulling conductors from the wireway into the panel is no different than pulling conductors in any raceway, meaning the conductors aren't fastened. Generally cables need to be fastened to the enclosure they're connected to not conductors.

Ok, gotchya. I guess I wasn't clear, I actually was planning on using 12/2 and 14/2 romex to feed the panel. Would it be a better idea to just use individual conductors so this installation can meet code?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ok, gotchya. I guess I wasn't clear, I actually was planning on using 12/2 and 14/2 romex to feed the panel. Would it be a better idea to just use individual conductors so this installation can meet code?

Your original plan is fine as long as you keep the raceway between the wireway and the panel 24" or less and you keep your total CCC count to 30 or less at any cross section of the wireway. You could also install a junction box instead of the wireway and forget about the 30 CCC limit.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I'm upgrading a split service (100 amps each) into 1 service, that is, one meter and one new 200 amp panel. The only way to accommodate the new panel is to move it 2 feet to the right (because of a new washer/dryer install). Therefore, I have to extend all the branch circuits to the new panel, as they will not reach as they are. I'm using a 2 foot wire trough with knockouts to gather all the existing wires, and splicing them inside the trough. I was hoping to feed them all into the new panel through a short section of 2" PVC conduit on a side knockout in the panel. Is this a violation of 312.5(c)? Will I have to run them all individually to the new panel?

I have moved many a panel and have never had to resort to using a trough. I have seen hundreds of residential installations and never have seen a trough.

Before you begin, consider this:

Let's say you are moving the panel to the right. Some of the cables will come from the direction you are moving the panel to. Re-route those and they will all be plenty long enough to hit the panel.

Cables coming from the left and the center that simply won't reach at all, even with a re-route, get spliced in 4 square boxes. We usually do 2 per box.

A typical 10 circuit job will have 5 circuits that reach and 5 that won't. In that case, I would use 2 4S deep boxes, one with two circuits and one with three, or if it's easy reach, put up three and do 2, 2 and one. Popping up three boxes is easier than a trough and looks better, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.