Service entrance

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim.mccraw

I am installing 2- 200 amp services on a business with disconnects, 1 single phase and the other 3 phase. The customer has ask me to nipple the disconnects together and enter the dwelling through 1 conduit. I have looked at the code and do not really see an answer. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david

312.8 Enclosures for Switches or Overcurrent Devices.

In my way of thinking I would avoid the three phase feeder for the business occupancy passing through the dwelling

tim.mccraw

I personally don't like the idea of taking 2 services through 1 pipe entering the building. Just don't think it's good wiring practice. It may be legal according to code but not something I want to do. I wanted to get some other electricians ideas on this. Thanks for your help.

iwire

Staff member
I do not see any reason that it would be a bad practice, it is just different from what you are used to.

The only code issue will be derating if this one conduit is more than 24" long.

david

I do not see any reason that it would be a bad practice, it is just different from what you are used to.

The only code issue will be derating if this one conduit is more than 24" long.

I realize it may just be a gutter on the other side of the dwelling wall and the three phase feeder most likely passes straight through the dwelling without much opportunity for the residents who think they are qualified to repair or add to an electrical system pocking around to much into the three phase system. I would just avoid giving the residents in the dwelling access to three phase equipment as much as possible.

I know,, I did say it’s just my way of thinking

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
I am installing 2- 200 amp services on a business with disconnects, 1 single phase and the other 3 phase. The customer has ask me to nipple the disconnects together and enter the dwelling through 1 conduit. I have looked at the code and do not really see an answer. What are your thoughts?

Not sure what you mean. Most utilities only allow one service per building. If really more than one service, I'd say "no way". But I'm looking as a utility, not Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.