flexible cord for suspended luminaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjenks

We are replacing some old T-12 8’ suspended ceiling fixtures that are currently powered by MC cable via ceiling j-box (ugly install) with LED and want to make it look nicer.

NEC 410.24(A) allows me to use “flexible cord” to power an aircraft cable suspended 8’ LED fixture from a gypsum ceiling. It does reference 410.62(C) which leads me to my first question from (C)(2): Do I have to have a receptacle on the ceiling to plug the cord in to or is there some type of adapter I can easily get that will go into an existing junction box? Then there is NEC 240.5(B)(2) talking about using (18 AWG) fixture wire for my 5 ft luminaire to junction box connection. But does that apply to flexible cord of NEC 400 and NEC 402 or just NEC 402 fixture wire? Are there any NEC 402 fixture wire that is also a cord or are they all single conductors that would require a raceway? Am I doomed to reusing the existing MC cable or does someone else have a better idea to make it look nicer without a lot of rework?

iwire

Staff member
I would be highly surprised if any building occupant will find cord any better looking than MC.

But I can answer one of your questions, cord is not fixture wire so it will have to be sized to the branch circuit.

Buck Parrish

They do make connectors to fit 1/2 in knockouts for flexible cable. (S/O Cable connectors) Heat may also be a factor in your choice of fixture wire.

Bjenks

So how are you guys getting power to a nice pendant conference room fixture without using MC cable? Or maybe the pendant fixtures come with a some type lamp cord that is part of the UL listing and you just run it with the pendant cable into a junction box? Just have these nice 2" wide suspended LED fixtures and was hoping I could run something that doesn't take away the beauty of the aircraft cables.

iwire

Staff member
So how are you guys getting power to a nice pendant conference room fixture without using MC cable? Or maybe the pendant fixtures come with a some type lamp cord that is part of the UL listing and you just run it with the pendant cable into a junction box?

Exactly, any nice pendent will come with or have available as an option a nice cord as part of the listing.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We are replacing some old T-12 8’ suspended ceiling fixtures that are currently powered by MC cable via ceiling j-box (ugly install) with LED and want to make it look nicer.

NEC 410.24(A) allows me to use “flexible cord” to power an aircraft cable suspended 8’ LED fixture from a gypsum ceiling. It does reference 410.62(C) which leads me to my first question from (C)(2): Do I have to have a receptacle on the ceiling to plug the cord in to or is there some type of adapter I can easily get that will go into an existing junction box? Then there is NEC 240.5(B)(2) talking about using (18 AWG) fixture wire for my 5 ft luminaire to junction box connection. But does that apply to flexible cord of NEC 400 and NEC 402 or just NEC 402 fixture wire? Are there any NEC 402 fixture wire that is also a cord or are they all single conductors that would require a raceway? Am I doomed to reusing the existing MC cable or does someone else have a better idea to make it look nicer without a lot of rework?

400.13 allows you to protect the cord feeding a fixture according to 240.5.

400.13 Overcurrent Protection. Flexible cords not smaller than 18 AWG, and tinsel cords or cords having equivalent characteristics of smaller size approved for use with specific appliances, shall be considered as protected against overcurrent in accordance with 240.5.

david

So I can use #18 White SO cord? But if I understand it correctly I still have to plug it into a receptacle?

The rec. is required for (3), (6) and (8)

400.7 (3) Connection of portable luminaires, portable and mobile signs, or appliances
(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange
(8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection

Wouldn’t your application be (2) Wiring of luminaires

what are you using to determine the over current protection for 18 AWG so cord?

Last edited:

Bjenks

The rec. is required for (3), (6) and (8)

400.7 (3) Connection of portable luminaires, portable and mobile signs, or appliances
(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange
(8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection

Wouldn’t your application be (2) Wiring of luminaires

what are you using to determine the over current protection for 18 AWG so cord?

That code basically says that you can't cut the head off of a refrigerator, lamp stand, or portable compressor and wire it to something.
I have to use 410.24(A) and 410.62(B) which allows SO cord, but it has to be plugged in for my application.

Also based on a previous commenter: Since this is NOT an extension cord or a listed assembly, but it is a flexible cord the OCPD is sized per 240.5(A) for its ampacity per Table 400.5(A)(1) which doesn't let me go any smaller than #14.

Status
Not open for further replies.