House with two services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I had a customer call and say he wanted a 200 amp panel installed in his attached garage. He wants to set up a wood shop. He said he contacted Dominion Power and they are willing to install an additional service for his garage. The current service is on the other end of the house supplying a panel in the basement.

I am not familiar with this setup. Is there possibly a misunderstanding here? A residential property with two services?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
With the garage being attached, doing so would be a violation of 230.2. There are exceptions but its seems doubtful this situation would meet any of the requirements. I would not proceed without
discussion with the AHJ.

(sorry jumper, posted at the same time... luckily, similar answers :) )

kwired

Electron manager
I had a customer call and say he wanted a 200 amp panel installed in his attached garage. He wants to set up a wood shop. He said he contacted Dominion Power and they are willing to install an additional service for his garage. The current service is on the other end of the house supplying a panel in the basement.

I am not familiar with this setup. Is there possibly a misunderstanding here? A residential property with two services?

You could have 10 buildings on that property and run service conductors to every one of them. However you can't have more then one service to any of them unless allowed by provisions mentioned in 230.2 (A thru D). Attached garage makes it all the same building, unless by design you can have AHJ blessing and designate it as a separate building - but then you would need to abandon/relocate the supply to any existing circuits or else you still have one building supplied by more then one service. Getting this to be deemed separate buildings just doesn't happen on single family dwellings as easily as it could happen on commercial, industrial or institutional buildings, but if it does happen you likely will have a 2 hour fire wall between the two "buildings" at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.