Bonding between meter pan and disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert pitre

I have a question about bonding?
Upon a inspection I went on was a meter pan and a disconnect panel that was back to back on a wooden 4x6 pole , between the meter pan box and the disconnect box they run sch. 40 pvc.
Looking at the feeder wires they ran 3- 2/0 , 2- hot legs and 1-neutral from the meter pan to the disconnect box.
They also ran a #4 ground wire from the meter pan (only) to a ground rod. This was for a 200amps service with 20amp breaker coming off disconnect box to feed a receptacle with GFIC for a pump to be installed in a pond . My question is this, ( do I need a bonding wire from the meter pan to the disconnect pan )? or ,is the neutral will play the role for the bonding between the meter pan and disconnect box?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have a question about bonding?
Upon a inspection I went on was a meter pan and a disconnect panel that was back to back on a wooden 4x6 pole , between the meter pan box and the disconnect box they run sch. 40 pvc.
Looking at the feeder wires they ran 3- 2/0 , 2- hot legs and 1-neutral from the meter pan to the disconnect box.
They also ran a #4 ground wire from the meter pan (only) to a ground rod. This was for a 200amps service with 20amp breaker coming off disconnect box to feed a receptacle with GFIC for a pump to be installed in a pond . My question is this, ( do I need a bonding wire from the meter pan to the disconnect pan )? or ,is the neutral will play the role for the bonding between the meter pan and disconnect box?

The neutral is your bonding conductor. You just need to make sure the main bonding jumper, in this case probably a green screw, is installed in your service panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Augie stated all metal parts that are on the line side of the service disconnect are connected to the neutral. The conductors within the PVC are service entrance conductors and the raceway does not require a fourth conductor. IMO installing one would violate 250.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.