Wiring methods in Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm visiting my son in Mt. Prospect, IL and he just bought a house. I'm looking at some of the wiring and I see that most of it is done in EMT. However, I do see armored cable in the basement wherever it is visible. Can any of you in IL give me a heads up on local codes before we decide to add a paddle fan or add other circuits ? Thanks in advance.

BTW, I'm not out here with any tools, so I won't be doing any major work

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Chicago area codes require conduit and I assume armored cable in some areas but all the house I hear about are done in EMT

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Gadzooks!!!

That is in Cook County, outside of Chicago.

I hope you are good at being conduit.:)

Don_Resqcapt19 is from that area and will know the requirements.
I've bent more than my share of conduit but they won't allow me on the plane with the benders.:cool:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm visiting my son in Mt. Prospect, IL and he just bought a house. I'm looking at some of the wiring and I see that most of it is done in EMT. However, I do see armored cable in the basement wherever it is visible. Can any of you in IL give me a heads up on local codes before we decide to add a paddle fan or add other circuits ? Thanks in advance.

BTW, I'm not out here with any tools, so I won't be doing any major work
About 1/2 of the population of Illinois is under local codes that require EMT for dwelling units. Most of the local codes in the Chicago metro area require EMT. You have to check the local codes, as some permit MC or AC cables but others do not. Very few in the Chicago metro area permit NM.
If there is no locally adopted codes, then the default code for Illinois is the 2008 NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.