Were in NEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
He didn't say. He said 'smallest'.

I know what he said but lets use our heads.:thumbsup:

We don't even have to go to article 620 to say 20 AWG, all we have to do is look at exception 1 to 310.10(H) to find there is no bottom limit to the size conductor we can parallel.

But I am going to use commonsense and say the answer to the OPs question is 1/0.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I know what he said but lets use our heads.:thumbsup:

We don't even have to go to article 620 to say 20 AWG, all we have to do is look at exception 1 to 310.10(H) to find there is no bottom limit to the size conductor we can parallel.

But I am going to use commonsense and say the answer to the OPs question is 1/0.

I agree that the common sense answer would be 1/0. But one could argue that without further information from the OP, the answer COULD be either no minimum, as EX 1 allows, or 20 AWG as 620 allows.

The OP's question is one that a real screwy test question could come from, as there are at least three mentions of min. size in the NEC, and they don't come close to agreeing.

What if the OP was an apprentice working on elevators and left that info out? Or was running instrumentation wiring?

kwired

Electron manager
How about we say the smallest size conductor that can generally be installed in parallel for the intention of making an overall effectively higher current carrying capacity conductor is 1/0 AWG.

If the intentions of the parallel conductor installation is for other reasons - we have had threads well over 100 posts and no general consensus of what or why the code may allow for some instances.

:angel:

iwire

Staff member
I agree that the common sense answer would be 1/0. But one could argue that without further information from the OP, the answer COULD be either no minimum, as EX 1 allows, or 20 AWG as 620 allows.

The OP's question is one that a real screwy test question could come from, as there are at least three mentions of min. size in the NEC, and they don't come close to agreeing.

What if the OP was an apprentice working on elevators and left that info out? Or was running instrumentation wiring?

To each their own.:)

In my view if the question was about elevator cables the OP would have mentioned it. But you learned a new code section so life is beautiful. :cool:

fmtjfw

The OP gave no circumstances. I don't know if it was a bar bet, a question on a master's exam, or what.

BTW the #20 is a good way to win a bar bet or possibly get an answer right on a master's exam.

iwire

Staff member
The OP gave no circumstances. I don't know if it was a bar bet, a question on a master's exam, or what.

BTW the #20 is a good way to win a bar bet or possibly get an answer right on a master's exam.

But it is incorrect.

There is no bottom limit if we use exception 1

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Maybe, maybe not.

We have to use Chapter 3 wiring methods. The smallest conductor in Table 310.13(A) is 22 AWG MTW. Thus, the smallest conductor we could use under Exc. 1 would be 22 AWG, would it not?
And just where in the OP's question does it specify that the question is limited to Chapter 3 wiring methods?
Instrument and control wiring are in the NEC too. Field wiring for them, that is. And electricians can install such wiring.

iwire

Staff member
So, it only took 14 posts over a day and a half to agree on an answer for the OP's question.

We may not be good, but at least we are slow.

:D

Heck, 14 posts is pretty good. At least it was not 14 pages. :D

(Never mind, I see GD has ensured we can keep going) :cool:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
And just where in the OP's question does it specify that the question is limited to Chapter 3 wiring methods?
Instrument and control wiring are in the NEC too. Field wiring for them, that is. And electricians can install such wiring.

Good point!

I checked several other chapters and still found 22 AWG to be the minimum. Example, PLTC, 22 - 12 AWG. ITC, the same. Class 1 conductors, 18 AWG.

Status
Not open for further replies.