Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mini Splits

Thank you for the update. I'm an HVAC contractor (after 15 years as an electrician) now and can say that in 10 years, I've never once installed a disco at the indoor unit, and it would seem silly to do so.

And yes, I completely agree that a standard split-system is a different animal.

minisplits

I live in NH and we are currently using the 2017 NEC; this topic has been addressed by the NH State Electrical Inspectors and they are hanging their hat on 440.14. Why this switch is required in their eyes, I guess only they know, but the exterior unit may be locked off thereby rendering the interior unit de-energized. Just seems redundant to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WENTY View Post
    I live in NH and we are currently using the 2017 NEC; this topic has been addressed by the NH State Electrical Inspectors and they are hanging their hat on 440.14. Why this switch is required in their eyes, I guess only they know, but the exterior unit may be locked off thereby rendering the interior unit de-energized. Just seems redundant to me.
    I would be more understanding of their decision if they hung their hat on something from art 422. The indoor unit does not contain a hermetic compressor and therefore doesn't fit the scope in 440.1 meaning nothing in 440 applies, it is simply a motor driven appliance.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.