Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Copper Tubing used as conduit?

I never have worked with the stuff, but after a quick look, seems to be MI cable to me. I see an identification tag around one of the conductors.

Appears to be a typical MI termination from what I see here, a epoxy terminated end, with plastic insulated wire termination.

Probably a need for the MI cable at the other end of the termination, would be my guess.

Also noticed the bonding conductor, in the enclosure running through a steel conduit without bonding to it.

http://www.micable.com/products

MTW

Here's a termination video, sure looks like fun doing it on a ladder or your knees...

Even has the green identification tag...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVSq0MXN0vs

Shielded variety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF-t9irJ_bE
    Last edited by MTW; 04-05-18 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MTW View Post
    I never have worked with the stuff, but after a quick look, seems to be MI cable to me. I see an identification tag around one of the conductors.

Appears to be a typical MI termination from what I see here, a epoxy terminated end, with plastic insulated wire termination.

Probably a need for the MI cable at the other end of the termination, would be my guess.

Also noticed the bonding conductor, in the enclosure running through a steel conduit without bonding to it.

http://www.micable.com/products

MTW
    Your Google-fu is very strong. Couldn't find anything useful from Pyrotenax.

I see a green sticker on one of the conductors coming out of the tubing... hmmm. It boils down to is that copper or a copper jacket cable assembly.
    I'm in over my head...

Never mind, MTW answered it!
    I'm in over my head...

Thank you all for your comments and insight.

MI cable is what this installation is using.

Just going from the photo, now I'm thinking that this stuff looks so much like copper tubing, how do we know a plumber won't try cutting into it sometime?

I'm wondering if the manufacturer puts any markings on the copper jacket? It seems like they should be required to do that, just to make sure it isn't mistaken for copper tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    Just going from the photo, now I'm thinking that this stuff looks so much like copper tubing, how do we know a plumber won't try cutting into it sometime?

I'm wondering if the manufacturer puts any markings on the copper jacket? It seems like they should be required to do that, just to make sure it isn't mistaken for copper tubing.
    Wouldn't make a difference... plumbers don't read.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Just like an electrician shouldn't splice into a circuit if he doesn't at least know if it is the correct voltage for what he is going to splice into it, or verify it is off before working on it, shouldn't a plumber know what kind of media is in the line he is going to cut into and whether it is under pressure or not?
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

They don't use MI cable in residential. Unlikely a plumber would chop it in a hospital or some place like that where it is used.