Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Theory question- grounding and bonding SDS

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    Stand corrected.
    Try inspecting in an area where the jurisdictions have adopted everything from '08 to '17
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    My mistake in my wording- the nec itself does not require bonding to the service grounding electrode- looks like the CEC requires it however.

My despite the differences in the CEC and NEC, both require some type bonding/grounding outside of normal equipment, ie one example:

Personally I think that this is a waste of time, material and someones money. I see no reason to run a common grounding electrode in a high rise building. The primary contains an EGC so it's already connected the building GES. The system bonding jumper protects against ground faults on the secondary side. We had a similar thread about this not too long ago with similar opinions.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Personally I think that this is a waste of time, material and someones money. I see no reason to run a common grounding electrode in a high rise building. The primary contains an EGC so it's already connected the building GES. The system bonding jumper protects against ground faults on the secondary side. We had a similar thread about this not too long ago with similar opinions.

What year did they start to require this if anyone knows? Comforting to know that I am not the only one to hold such an opinion.
    I'm in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    Try inspecting in an area where the jurisdictions have adopted everything from '08 to '17
    Ahhh, thanks
    I'm in over my head...

the only thing i can think of is proximal GE's , given a high AIC situation that might possibly compliment theory.....but that could be a stretch too.....~RJ~

Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post
    the only thing i can think of is proximal GE's , given a high AIC situation that might possibly compliment theory.....but that could be a stretch too.....~RJ~
    Explain- a tad confused here.
    I'm in over my head...

I had the thought mother nature has it in for a particular SDS mbrooke

probably not a validating point

~RJ~

I had the thought mother nature has it in for a particular SDS mbrooke

probably not a validating point

~RJ~
    Perhaps- not entirely implausible considering that transformer were not as well built back in the day. Their failures could have been correctly or incorrectly attributed to lightning. The problem was great enough to change utility grounding practices.
    I'm in over my head...

Yeah, the last pad i grounded had the poco EE show up , who's chief focus was just how the whole ground ring should be set up. I got the impression they've a tighter doctrine , more than likely from experience

~RJ~

Yeah, the last pad i grounded had the poco EE show up , who's chief focus was just how the whole ground ring should be set up. I got the impression they've a tighter doctrine , more than likely from experience

~RJ~
    Often they do, they are strict about. Then again you do not want to break continuity on that MGN.
    I'm in over my head...