Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Theory question- grounding and bonding SDS

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    15,746
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    Stand corrected.
    Try inspecting in an area where the jurisdictions have adopted everything from '08 to '17
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    24,734
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    My mistake in my wording- the nec itself does not require bonding to the service grounding electrode- looks like the CEC requires it however.

    My despite the differences in the CEC and NEC, both require some type bonding/grounding outside of normal equipment, ie one example:


    Personally I think that this is a waste of time, material and someones money. I see no reason to run a common grounding electrode in a high rise building. The primary contains an EGC so it's already connected the building GES. The system bonding jumper protects against ground faults on the secondary side. We had a similar thread about this not too long ago with similar opinions.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,136
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Personally I think that this is a waste of time, material and someones money. I see no reason to run a common grounding electrode in a high rise building. The primary contains an EGC so it's already connected the building GES. The system bonding jumper protects against ground faults on the secondary side. We had a similar thread about this not too long ago with similar opinions.


    What year did they start to require this if anyone knows? Comforting to know that I am not the only one to hold such an opinion.
    I'm in over my head...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,136
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    Try inspecting in an area where the jurisdictions have adopted everything from '08 to '17
    Ahhh, thanks
    I'm in over my head...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,278
    the only thing i can think of is proximal GE's , given a high AIC situation that might possibly compliment theory.....but that could be a stretch too.....~RJ~

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,136
    Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post
    the only thing i can think of is proximal GE's , given a high AIC situation that might possibly compliment theory.....but that could be a stretch too.....~RJ~
    Explain- a tad confused here.
    I'm in over my head...

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,278
    I had the thought mother nature has it in for a particular SDS mbrooke

    probably not a validating point

    ~RJ~

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,136
    Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post
    I had the thought mother nature has it in for a particular SDS mbrooke

    probably not a validating point

    ~RJ~
    Perhaps- not entirely implausible considering that transformer were not as well built back in the day. Their failures could have been correctly or incorrectly attributed to lightning. The problem was great enough to change utility grounding practices.
    I'm in over my head...

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,278
    Yeah, the last pad i grounded had the poco EE show up , who's chief focus was just how the whole ground ring should be set up. I got the impression they've a tighter doctrine , more than likely from experience

    ~RJ~

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,136
    Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post
    Yeah, the last pad i grounded had the poco EE show up , who's chief focus was just how the whole ground ring should be set up. I got the impression they've a tighter doctrine , more than likely from experience

    ~RJ~
    Often they do, they are strict about. Then again you do not want to break continuity on that MGN.
    I'm in over my head...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •