Thread: Electrician

Electrician

When meggering power panels, denergized and all breakers off, do you have to disconnect the newtral from the secondary of Y transformer panel to megger the leads to the power panel?

Quote Originally Posted by yucatan4 View Post
    When meggering power panels, denergized and all breakers off, do you have to disconnect the newtral from the secondary of Y transformer panel to megger the leads to the power panel?
    To test the ungrounded conductors you shoudn't have to. If you were to test the neutral - you would have to disconnect it or any bonding jumpers in the system.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    When checking the phases from the transformer to the panel, yes, isolate the neutral or else remove the conductors from the transformer.
    We usually isolate all of the conductors.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    To test the ungrounded conductors you shoudn't have to. If you were to test the neutral - you would have to disconnect it or any bonding jumpers in the system.
    To clarify if the ungrounded conductors are still connected to the transformer (directly or via closed switches) you will read through transformer windings as well as system bonding jumpers and not get results you are wanting.

When megging or continuity testing you must eliminate unwanted paths that can effect the readings.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

When megging or continuity testing you must eliminate unwanted paths that can effect the readings.
    . .can affect...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk