Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City Plan Checker Blues

Quote Originally Posted by JMW77 View Post
    ...It would be nice if I could get a reasonable explanation on why this is necessary. ...
    Give up on that. It isn't necessary and as you mentioned the requirement has been removed from the 2017 NEC. But if you're in California on the 2016 CEC and he's citing 690.47(D) then yeah, you're just kinda gonna have to deal. A bare #6 to a ground rod would be acceptable by the code.

I think you might be going about this from the wrong direction, the NEC will not say if an Enphase micro-inverter requires a GEC. That comes from the installation manual. If the installation manual says the inverter design requires a GEC then the NEC provides direction on sizing it, if it does not call for a GEC then one is not needed. And those micro-inverters do not require a GEC. So that side of the argument is closed by referring to the manual.

Since everything gets an EGC and this is AC that is sized by NEC table 250.122.

Now if you are dealing with a 2014 NEC 690.47(D) issue then you are farther from a resolution. I've found that exception 2 can almost always be invoked since you can usually show that an additional grounding electrode that satisfied 47(D) could be installed within 6' of the existing grounding electrode system.
    Last edited by pv_n00b; 04-10-18 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pv_n00b View Post

Now if you are dealing with a 2014 NEC 690.47(D) issue then you are farther from a resolution. I've found that exception 2 can almost always be invoked since you can usually show that an additional grounding electrode that satisfied 47(D) could be installed within 6' of the existing grounding electrode system.
    Not if the electrical service is on the north side of the house. That was the situation in the one and only time an inspector held my feet to the fire over 690.47(D).

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    Not if the electrical service is on the north side of the house. That was the situation in the one and only time an inspector held my feet to the fire over 690.47(D).
    Almost always. It's the few exceptions that get you.