Receptacles Near A Gasoline Dispenser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've got a customer who is requesting some work in the area around their fuel dispenser and I just wanted to make sure I'm reading the code right on this application (we don't do too much fueling station work).

He's asking for a diesel exhaust fluid pump to be installed within the 20' radius of an existing gasoline tank/dispenser. As I understand it, the class I division 2 area extends in a 20' radius around the dispenser and extends 18" above ground and around the tank/dispenser.

My question is, as this DEF pump requires a 120v recep, if I mount the receptacle within the 20' radius but above 18" can I use a standard weatherproof J-box and receptacle?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
My question is, as this DEF pump requires a 120v recep, if I mount the receptacle within the 20' radius but above 18" can I use a standard weatherproof J-box and receptacle?
Yes; but be careful with any raceways that may cross the boundary and other equipment and wiring methods that may be above or under the 20' radius. [Sections 514.7 & 8] Standard weatherproof J-boxes and receptacles are fine in this case.

I assume the classified envelope is with reference to the gasoline dispenser.

Yes; but be careful with any raceways that may cross the boundary and other equipment and wiring methods that may be above or under the 20' radius. [Sections 514.7 & 8] Standard weatherproof J-boxes and receptacles are fine in this case.

I assume the classified envelope is with reference to the gasoline dispenser.

My thoughts were we would come out of the existing junction box that houses the existing Fuel Dispenser circuitry with rigid to a sealing conduit fitting, runthreaded rigid across the concrete to where the DEF receptacle will be, stub up and into another sealed fitting above 18" and then a short stub into the standard weatherproof box.

Status
Not open for further replies.