Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Liens and legal issues

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post

I once had to threaten to cut every piece of wire out of the building that I installed to get paid. Not proud about that, probably wasn't ethical or legal, but it worked.
    Kind of a heat of the moment kind of comment - what happens if you cut them and then they pay you - now they all need fixed, and at whose expense? Easier to lock out operation some sort of service or change passwords to software to disable it or thing of that sort of nature then to physically damage something and then have to restore it. Some services you even get to charge and collect a "reconnect fee" before you restore the service.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Kind of a heat of the moment kind of comment - what happens if you cut them and then they pay you - now they all need fixed, and at whose expense? Easier to lock out operation some sort of service or change passwords to software to disable it or thing of that sort of nature then to physically damage something and then have to restore it. Some services you even get to charge and collect a "reconnect fee" before you restore the service.
    it was an empty threat, a bluff if you will. Being an avid poker player, I can make a guy fold a straight if he thinks I have a flush. And there are times when the odds are just not good to gamble with your investment/ money.

In that particular time and moment, I had very little to lose, and everything to gain. I am definitely not saying that the ends justify the means, nor would I recommend such actions to anyone else... that written, sometimes slime balls have to be dealt with at a level that they understand. Court cases or legal actions can be dealt with later... having to find another limited energy/ low voltage contractor NOW is a more immediate problem, and paying me what I was overdue was much easier and cheaper (not to mention right ) than hiring someone else.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    it was an empty threat, a bluff if you will. Being an avid poker player, I can make a guy fold a straight if he thinks I have a flush. And there are times when the odds are just not good to gamble with your investment/ money.

In that particular time and moment, I had very little to lose, and everything to gain. I am definitely not saying that the ends justify the means, nor would I recommend such actions to anyone else... that written, sometimes slime balls have to be dealt with at a level that they understand. Court cases or legal actions can be dealt with later... having to find another limited energy/ low voltage contractor NOW is a more immediate problem, and paying me what I was overdue was much easier and cheaper (not to mention right ) than hiring someone else.
    I thought about doing that, cut out whatever wire and equipment I can get to. The situation I am dealing with that I mentioned a while back in this thread is a small resi T&M job, drywall is up. I havnt specifically been told to not go there or turn in my key or anything so I thought about going there some night and cutting out whatever wire I can get, and take the new panel and meter socket. Right now though we are petitioning the court to for close on the lien. I'll keep yall posted.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    I thought about doing that, cut out whatever wire and equipment I can get to. The situation I am dealing with that I mentioned a while back in this thread is a small resi T&M job, drywall is up. I havnt specifically been told to not go there or turn in my key or anything so I thought about going there some night and cutting out whatever wire I can get, and take the new panel and meter socket. Right now though we are petitioning the court to for close on the lien. I'll keep yall posted.
    Unfortunately the way the law usually works on that is you can potentially be charged for B&E, trespassing, criminal mischief, etc. and on top of that be ordered to pay restitution and have to buy all that stuff you were never paid for a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Unfortunately the way the law usually works on that is you can potentially be charged for B&E, trespassing, criminal mischief, etc. and on top of that be ordered to pay restitution and have to buy all that stuff you were never paid for a second time.
    I don't see how that could be. As I haven't been paid I still own all the materials. If they don't want me to finish and pay me for anything, I'll take my stuff and leave.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    I don't see how that could be. As I haven't been paid I still own all the materials. If they don't want me to finish and pay me for anything, I'll take my stuff and leave.
    Kind of don't make sense does it? Some of the problem is most of what we do becomes a part of real estate. By coming in and taking or damaging your installation - you are taking or damaging the real estate that isn't yours.

You possibly could get away with it if you stated something in a contract in the payment terms section that said you could reclaim your components if payment terms weren't met. Still might end up going through some litigation process though.

With all the CCTV's in operation today I wouldn't take the chance of removing any equipment for fear that I'd be recorded on TV. In addition I wouldn't advocate committing a crime of any type.

Having said that, what I'd really like to do in extreme situations like this is put on a pair of latex gloves, a ski mask and a hoodie walk by at 2:00 AM, pull the meter and smash it on the ground.

With my luck there would be a cop sitting across the street and I'd be responding to this thread from my jail cell

Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    With all the CCTV's in operation today I wouldn't take the chance of removing any equipment for fear that I'd be recorded on TV. In addition I wouldn't advocate committing a crime of any type.

Having said that, what I'd really like to do in extreme situations like this is put on a pair of latex gloves, a ski mask and a hoodie walk by at 2:00 AM, pull the meter and smash it on the ground.

With my luck there would be a cop sitting across the street and I'd be responding to this thread from my jail cell
    For what it’s worth I’ve only been beat for small amounts ever .I usually make myself such a pain in the ass that it’s worth paying me to get ride of me. If the owner is the real crook you can go in and get a free service just to make the guy uncomfortable .

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseydaze View Post
    If the owner is the real crook you can go in and get a free service just to make the guy uncomfortable .
    what free service?
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

Quote Originally Posted by readydave8 View Post
    what free service?
    The one where you go in and demand it be free.