Light switch behind door

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought there was a change in the code that prevented dwelling units from having the light switch for the light that are behind the door, or not quickly accessible upon entry.

The only thing even close to that is the 'attic' switch location that I have found. Is there any reference that I am missing?
This builder has a light switch behind the door. When you enter the house you have to close the door to get to the switch to turn the light on for that entry area.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I thought there was a change in the code that prevented dwelling units from having the light switch for the light that are behind the door, or not quickly accessible upon entry.

The only thing even close to that is the 'attic' switch location that I have found. Is there any reference that I am missing?
This builder has a light switch behind the door. When you enter the house you have to close the door to get to the switch to turn the light on for that entry area.
That is a design issue rather than a Code issue (except that the Code seems to be getting deeper and deeper into design these days.)
The required switches for rooms with lighting outlets do not even have to be in the same room or near the room entry.

user 100

We posted at the same time. I mentioned the closet because I had someone ask me to do it once. Did that ever happen to you?

You do get some odd requests when it comes to switch placement. Personally if I ended up somehow w/ a switch behind a door that door is getting reversed or that switch is getting moved-but if its someone else's abode they can do what they want, I couldn't care less when it comes to switch placement.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking maybe 2014 NEC 110.12 Mechanical Execution of Work. Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workmanlike manner.

It mentions the informational note: Standard Practice of Good Workmanship in Electrical Construction

http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com/s...od_Workmanship_in_Electrical_Construction.pdf

Page 7 of this Standard says,

(j)Boxes for switches near doors shall be located on the side opposite the hinge and close to the door trim

I know this is open to interpretation,(wokmanlike manner)and maybe hard to enforce or call them on it. What do you think? :)

iwire

Staff member
I know this is open to interpretation,(wokmanlike manner)and maybe hard to enforce or call them on it. What do you think? :)

I think 'workmanlike' should be removed from the NEC.

I think you are trying to find an NEC code to enforce your own ideas of where a switch should be.

I think the person paying the bill should get to decide, not the CMP or you or me.

:)

I think 'workmanlike' should be removed from the NEC.:)
Have you made a purposal to do that?

I think you are trying to find an NEC code to enforce your own ideas of where a switch should be..:)
This is true, but isn't this what most inspectors do too, if they see something they think is wrong, they try to find a code to support their idea? isn't the code mostly someone's idea on how things should be. ;)

I think the person paying the bill should get to decide, not the CMP or you or me.

:)
In some cases yes, but in most cases no! the person paying the bill may not know all the safety issues around electrical installation. That's why they hire people like you and me for our knowledge of minimum safety standards. Of course there is no direct safety issue with the switch location. An indirect stretched argument could be that a person could stumble in the dark and injure themselves trying to find the light switch for that area that is not near the entry point.

I think that's the argument they used to get a code requirement for the 'entry' area to the attic. They didn't want people stumbling. ;)

user 100

This is true, but isn't this what most inspectors do too, if they see something they think is wrong, they try to find a code to support their idea? isn't the code mostly someone's idea on how things should be. ;)

In some cases yes, but in most cases no! the person paying the bill may not know all the safety issues around electrical installation. That's why they hire people like you and me for our knowledge of minimum safety standards. Of course there is no direct safety issue with the switch location. An indirect stretched argument could be that a person could stumble in the dark and injure themselves trying to find the light switch for that area that is not near the entry point.

I will venture to say if an ahj enforces a certain code, they shouldn't be allowed to invent something they believe ​should be in the code w/out valid local amendments to that enforced code. And in the context of this thread about light switch placement and the NEC, it is ultimately the customers choice barring ahj.

iwire

Staff member
Have you made a purposal to do that?

No, I have not. You asked what we think, I told you.

It is interesting to me that even the NFPAs own 'manual of style' lists both 'workmanlike and 'neat' as vague and possibly unenforceable.

You stretching safety issues to convenience issues. (IMO)

In some cases yes, but in most cases no! the person paying the bill may not know all the safety issues around electrical installation.

Do you really think the owner of a home should not be allowed to place switches where they want?

To me that is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.