Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grounding Electrode Conductor for up-sized service conductors

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    I've always found it interesting (and perplexing) that an interior metal water piping system that is not a grounding electrode requires a 250.102(c) full size bond whereas other piping systems do not.

You, me and a lot of other people. Are CMP members influenced by rational thought? Hard to tell most days of the week.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

But now I'm thinking. His question came up because the service panel is about 100 feet away from where the well tank and equipment is. It would be cheaper and easier to run less than 1/0, but 1/0 it has to be. Since there is no requirement to bond the water line where it enters the building as with a GEC, couldn't he just bond to a water line closer to the panel if there is one?

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    But now I'm thinking. His question came up because the service panel is about 100 feet away from where the well tank and equipment is. It would be cheaper and easier to run less than 1/0, but 1/0 it has to be. Since there is no requirement to bond the water line where it enters the building as with a GEC, couldn't he just bond to a water line closer to the panel if there is one?

-Hal
    You can bond the water line, that isn't connected to an underground water pipe, anywhere you please
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    200A residential service. UG service conductors have been up-sized to 500 kcmil because of the length. Well water with plastic pipe entering building. What size GEC to the water piping? I say #4. Table 250.66 says 1/0.

-Hal
    If its a non metallic water pipe then it does not qualify as a GE. If the interior piping is metallic, then it has to be bonded per 250.104.
    Your ufer ground will require a minimum 4 AWG copper
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo