Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitchenette a Kitchen?

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    it is common to cook foods in microwaves. think microwave pizza. it is uncooked when it goes in the microwave and comes out cooked. think popcorn. goes in uncooked, comes out cooked.

I think the key would be if the microwave is permanent or not in determining if this is a kitchen or not.

Incidentally, it is pretty common in break rooms to have a toaster. That certainly cooks food. Again may or may not be considered permanent. I saw one once that had the cord secured to the wall, likely to make it harder to walk off with. that seems pretty much permanent to me.
    Most ranges are free standing and cord and plug connected yet we consider them permanent provisions for cooking.

Still subject to interpretation regardless what the cooking appliance is.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Most ranges are free standing and cord and plug connected yet we consider them permanent provisions for cooking.

Still subject to interpretation regardless what the cooking appliance is.
    Free standing ranges these days have brackets that are screwed to the wall to keep them from tipping over. that would seem to make them more like permanent.
    Bob

I don't think the issue would be only about the permanent cooking by the built in oven or microwave.

If that sink or counter top is no portable then you have permanent place for food preparation. That is unless the room is labeled workshop or Lab or something. If labeled break room you need to follow kitchen rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    I don't think the issue would be only about the permanent cooking by the built in oven or microwave.

If that sink or counter top is no portable then you have permanent place for food preparation. That is unless the room is labeled workshop or Lab or something. If labeled break room you need to follow kitchen rules.
    The kitchen definition requires permanent provisions for both storage and cooking (note the word "and" in the definition). The counters are permanent in all likelihood. The key for whether it is a kitchen would appear to be if there are permanent cooking provisions. I could see an inspector saying something is permanent if it is built in. I could see him saying it is permanent if it is sitting on a counter but is always there. Now if it was mounted on a wheeled cart one would have a very good argument that it is not permanent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81sSMSW31iL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	20120
    Bob

Free standing ranges these days have brackets that are screwed to the wall to keep them from tipping over. that would seem to make them more like permanent.
    Anti - tip brackets don't fasten the appliance in place, they just keep it from tipping. Pull the appliance forward and it slides out whether you installed the bracket or not.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

unless installed by appliance delivery guy
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Anti - tip brackets don't fasten the appliance in place, they just keep it from tipping. Pull the appliance forward and it slides out whether you installed the bracket or not.
    I agree, the ones that I've seen you attach the bracket to the wall or floor and you slide the range foot into it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160603_171649.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	20147
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted