100' vertical run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a product that provides strain relief for cables in a long vertical conduit run.

as an example:

if I install 100' of conduit vertically with a 90 degree sweep (at the top) directly into a device box, then pull 3 THWN conductors, how does one provide strain relief for the THWN?

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
I think this is probably what he needs
ca0f38add88c26464c1e29aa0ed68433.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GerryB

Is there a product that provides strain relief for cables in a long vertical conduit run.

as an example:

if I install 100' of conduit vertically with a 90 degree sweep (at the top) directly into a device box, then pull 3 THWN conductors, how does one provide strain relief for the THWN?
Is this an actual job you did and the wires fell back?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Chock bushing and chock sized for the specific conductors size and number. For #1 copper conductors 100' is the maximum for one support.

C7Z08zMwEiIGbw8QSG7iSgB_QexCy_6o0iAOQD2wsp5I_jYHoGGWQqdhQ1OJ79QMDubGubn-tR8xhzpTwkC8XlqDYMxiEhaDLdDigPSwKwlHtYCUDYGVBWK2yZVThSMIKgKhEtnmJByOVi97K_XpOsv4Su0dS1AHoGY84NBwZM4v3cJ8UwVOkbjmfN39clpIQm9dnMhtp-Jy39pQjzHfSqCpseBFAcyB56ZLO-KuOpBOwvGXwGFN_TurljwLaz5WMkq1N-WHiRsAylWs4UwNTVCqLHibhiheG5g1PcZ17AeerG869OQbuybrCs-_VRVOO1v_jitU8MyCp1JQbF75I12L6tD3-byETeWh5VD3Bl7tiBIVzL5RCEeaZ7hgThixYCFBgMiBpC9QLZr_pUX7umc0Cl8ihQWzAMLE00s3URhupVSq3NVCEUE3QBT4HuBqsqMQRJuGuI4CHtyNKdUCF73HKHHNYaZaEUB559XCC3UJTU8shz-fOrZx1wTknLMpDBnAg3HhFYBx88ETeUFOpaULO-g7PdnYry1GLflWqCI=w692-h921-no

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hahaha........thankfully NO. have an upcoming job to do with circumstance similar to that description.

something to note..... pull from the bottom UP.
ESPECIALLY with copper conductors.

i saw photos of a 14 story that a shop i worked for did
the other way around..... the foreman figured you wouldn't
even need a tugger, just a guy in the basement pulling on
the rope. after the fifth or sixth floor, you didn't even need
that.... 500 mcm copper is somewhat heavy, and self feeds
quite quickly.

use the wire chocks in rob's photo, sized accordingly.

pull a couple extra feet, set the chocks, and let the tension
off the wire to settle it into the chocks.

be extra careful when pulling... if you have a rope or tugger
failure, it's an awful lot of weight hanging right above the
crew feeding.

i'd use simpull, but i'd check first to make sure the chocks will
grip it and it won't creep. i think i'd put something
sandy around where the grips are at. you don't want it settling
over a six month period of time. simpull is pretty slippery.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
i'd use simpull, but i'd check first to make sure the chocks will
grip it and it won't creep. i think i'd put something
sandy around where the grips are at. you don't want it settling
over a six month period of time. simpull is pretty slippery.

Given its highly slippery exterior the chocks we use are made specifically for Simpull.

2aDt8DaKjgWzgCUFUUs80nYl2Va8YrDAJ487GGWW67zG_lNKBZy6RKDoBjc5pD6ie7oEsv2zxuczSTsV1IBgTIL4HfiH-Fyb2TQrgw0lHCaOKBp_hMNtaeW1c5Rsrrarrs0_KyszoVjEXy_DOWukV2MVfA3f_vz-vH5tfem8cjyq9TbQJpxfmEG9rHz_jqvaNpqxYfB7PnbwtHnNFkuG0UK0s9T5GN-Wb4bozqbCa_xFzT5Guk3UYLzQ3G5CiBsOvb_dgDbBEjL-JwQbFnklU7TvxvN2zfFxo5Q5N8Nl_omrcSxtGcEtpcH709gIxmR_mU_BqWkkJac7lD61XqHUOS8_TTKrJE_uPGBwHzrHaDTjHDTMB5FOz6_FRwctre0BYRRFznk31xJfP5f1eJWp-QggZAcH-mr8z_Gh9l5eSyVyIlZn8B_CvkVwno99B72Ql-mn2Hz7SBcdxKY4qHucVhhhWIY56ateqaufd7IkOfrUrkLY1gL1fSTBl9beq5QDgnsyPZTYKa8A1uwOn0u5We9aDuJUy8SQzD11eVNoIuE=w1229-h921-no

AJElectric

... 500 mcm copper is somewhat heavy, and self feeds
quite quickly.

Wow, that would be a challenging mess to clean up. Been there, done tha (but on a much smaller scale :happysad:

I have found the limit for pulling up vs. down is somewhere around 4 of #4 copper at about 100ft high, basically if it's too heavy to manhandle from the top then don't try pulling downhill, it's really hard to stop heavy wires falling down and even harder to recover some wire without a tugger at the top.

If there are any bends near the top, that makes a big difference. Sometimes then pulling uphill is not an option.

In your case with just a few #12 or whatever, I would drop them in from the top. You probably won't even need a fishtape just push them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.