Apartment feeder passing through another apartment loadcenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I can totally understand your reservations. And just because it meets code doesn't mean it's a good idea. I can easily see a DIYer or newbie electrician not realizing those are hot wires even when the main is OFF.....
The fact that they are feeding through the panel and not connected to anything in the panel wouldn't be a clue?

kwired

Electron manager
The fact that they are feeding through the panel and not connected to anything in the panel wouldn't be a clue?
to you or me yes, he did mention DIY though. But IMO this is another area that the NEC should not cave in to protecting the DIY from what they don't understand anyway, and I don't think there is anything prohibiting it - so far.

kwired

Electron manager
Aren't panels with pass-throughs required to be labeled now?
Yes 312.8(B)(3) would require this for "switch and overcurrent device enclosures".

Easy to understand for simple things like a fused disconnect or a typical panelboard, not so simple to say it is required for something like a combination starter since the primary function of the enclosure is not so much dedicated to overcurrent devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.