Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Class 1 Division 2 Conduit Seals (Again)

Bob,

Thanks for the insight on the CE code, I must confess I have never so much as googled it (until now). Once I find a copy of it, I will do some digging to read what it says for myself (not that I dont trust you, I just find that I remember things better if I read it)

Another question I have is that Art. 500.7 talks about all the protection techniques that provide acceptable protection for equipment in hazardous areas. Specifically 500.7(L) states that Other Protection Techniques can be used to provide acceptable protection for equipment in hazardous areas.

Just what does the code mean by this? Who decides that the "Other Protection Techniques" are adequate? Would the installation discussed above fall under this article?

Quote Originally Posted by jstpie5 View Post
    Bob,

Thanks for the insight on the CE code, I must confess I have never so much as googled it (until now). Once I find a copy of it, I will do some digging to read what it says for myself (not that I dont trust you, I just find that I remember things better if I read it)

Another question I have is that Art. 500.7 talks about all the protection techniques that provide acceptable protection for equipment in hazardous areas. Specifically 500.7(L) states that Other Protection Techniques can be used to provide acceptable protection for equipment in hazardous areas.

Just what does the code mean by this? Who decides that the "Other Protection Techniques" are adequate? Would the installation discussed above fall under this article?
    I have no idea what alternatives Section 500.7(L) was intended for. I suspect it means whatever you can sell the AHJ under Section 500.8(A)(3). I have used Section 500.8(A)(3), usually for odd-ball classification scenarios, but never for any protection technique not already covered in Section 500.7.

BTW the CSA Canadian Electrical Code, Part I, is the analog to the NEC and usually abbreviated CEC. For completeness CEC, Part II is more-or-less analogous to various product standards promulgating bodies. It is there you will find most (but not all) of the listing requirements. CSA lists everything. Take your time - it will be a long read.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.