Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by Electrical Student View Post
    How many guys actually wear safety glasses all day every day?
    All day, every day.

I wear prescription glasses, progressive lenses. The company helps pay for them ($150/year). Proper glasses cost more than that but my eyes I can't put a price on.

My tip is if you wear prescription glasses, is get prescription safety glasses. You won't need to take them off to see. Get multi-focal glasses if you need them so you don't need to change glasses. If you don't wear glasses shop around and find comfortable glasses, don't be afraid to try many pair, until you find the ones that won't fog or otherwise hinder your vision. Then get in the habit of always keeping them on, don't take them off just because you are in an area that doesn't require them.

I used to wear MCR Klondike metal frame glasses, very comfortable but didn't like the fact they were conductive. They sell a plastic version as well. I bought from http://safetycompany.com inexpensive and quick. Also don't forget to pick up a breakaway lanyard (hard to forget them if they are around your neck) and a hardshell case that will protect them even banging around in a tool box (still better to wear them, but for after quitting time).

Also if you get inexpensive ones (MCR Klondike are <$5 each), don't just get one pair, get several. When they get scratched get rid of them. Otherwise you will be tempted to remove them because the scratch interferes with your vision.

I only have one pair that is scratched. A souvenir of when a cutting disc I was using disintegrated leaving me with a laceration above and below my eye and a ruined pair of safety glasses, but I still have vision in both eyes, so I call that a win.

I'm a firm believer in PPE. I'm in an engineering/supervisory capacity these days but I wear safety boots, safety glasses, hardhat, high visibility, and FR clothing every single day. Most days I'm not exposed to those hazards, but I don't have to change if I'm needed to go into a hazardous area, also I'm not tempted to walk into such an area unprepared.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbert View Post
    All day, every day.

I wear prescription glasses, progressive lenses. The company helps pay for them ($150/year). Proper glasses cost more than that but my eyes I can't put a price on.

My tip is if you wear prescription glasses, is get prescription safety glasses. You won't need to take them off to see. Get multi-focal glasses if you need them so you don't need to change glasses. If you don't wear glasses shop around and find comfortable glasses, don't be afraid to try many pair, until you find the ones that won't fog or otherwise hinder your vision. Then get in the habit of always keeping them on, don't take them off just because you are in an area that doesn't require them.

I used to wear MCR Klondike metal frame glasses, very comfortable but didn't like the fact they were conductive. They sell a plastic version as well. I bought from http://safetycompany.com inexpensive and quick. Also don't forget to pick up a breakaway lanyard (hard to forget them if they are around your neck) and a hardshell case that will protect them even banging around in a tool box (still better to wear them, but for after quitting time).

Also if you get inexpensive ones (MCR Klondike are <$5 each), don't just get one pair, get several. When they get scratched get rid of them. Otherwise you will be tempted to remove them because the scratch interferes with your vision.

I only have one pair that is scratched. A souvenir of when a cutting disc I was using disintegrated leaving me with a laceration above and below my eye and a ruined pair of safety glasses, but I still have vision in both eyes, so I call that a win.

I'm a firm believer in PPE. I'm in an engineering/supervisory capacity these days but I wear safety boots, safety glasses, hardhat, high visibility, and FR clothing every single day. Most days I'm not exposed to those hazards, but I don't have to change if I'm needed to go into a hazardous area, also I'm not tempted to walk into such an area unprepared.
    What about your underwear? Does it have any polyester in it?
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    Your Freudian slip is showing.
    Oh oh

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    When I worked in the explosive plant they did strongly suggest you wear cotton "tighty whities." They weren't about to do inspections, but the image of having your undies melted onto your skin was a pretty strong incentive for most folks.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    If you really must know, 100% cotton (except for the allowable incidental amount of elastic). Socks are wool. If I'm wearing thermals they are wool too. I don't wear anything that could potentially melt to my skin.

I wear eye and hearing protection anytime I pickup a power tool.

I haven’t always; but after a couple of after hours trips to the eye doctor, I always put my glasses on now. I have hearing loss also, so it’s a must for me now to keep it from getting worse. If I’m on a jobsite with equipment running or just lots of noise in general, I put my earplugs in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Its all day everyday in the shop area or you are fired.
    Safety shoes are also required or you are fired.

The first offence will get you a warning, the second time you are most likely out the door.
    Advise is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    My company (Eaton Corporation) did to get safety lenses so I wore those as my regular glasses.
    Safety lenses aren't enough! I've gone to a couple of optical shops for safety glasses, and have been told "all glasses are safety glasses." But if you ask for "industrial safety glasses," you get a different response. Safety glasses have safety lenses AND safety frames (which are stronger than many normal frames) and sideshields (mine are removable, so I can wear the glasses every day).

If you get polycarbonate lenses, they'll also remove 99% of UV light and be lighter than glass lenses.

You can also get safety glasses tinted, polarized or photochromic (self-darkening), and with various coatings for scratch resistance or glare reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by wtucker View Post
    Safety lenses aren't enough! I've gone to a couple of optical shops for safety glasses, and have been told "all glasses are safety glasses." But if you ask for "industrial safety glasses," you get a different response. Safety glasses have safety lenses AND safety frames (which are stronger than many normal frames) and sideshields (mine are removable, so I can wear the glasses every day).

If you get polycarbonate lenses, they'll also remove 99% of UV light and be lighter than glass lenses.

You can also get safety glasses tinted, polarized or photochromic (self-darkening), and with various coatings for scratch resistance or glare reduction.
    if they are ansi rated frames they will be labeled Z87 on the frame somewhere. Mine says Z87-2. No idea what the "-2" means. Allowable side shields will also be labeled Z87. My understanding is that polycarbonate is the only accepted lens material for safety glasses.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    Mine says Z87-2. No idea what the "-2" means. Allowable side shields will also be labeled Z87. My understanding is that polycarbonate is the only accepted lens material for safety glasses.
    -2 is on frames for prescription safety eyewear.

Side shields have more rigid requirements than in the past; in GENERAL, they must be approved by the frame manufacturer and tested with the appropriate frame.

Polycarbonate is by far the most popular lens material, but a new (10 years or so) material, Trivex, has a big following. It is optically superior to polycarbonate in several ways, but more $$ and lens are a little thicker.