Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety glasses?

Safety glasses?

How many guys actually wear safety glasses all day every day?

I have worked at places where u absouloutly had to have them on and it seems not to bother me after a
    little while. My shop now their optional and i cant seem to keep them on or even close by. Plus they end up in a pile of tools n their ruined. A special pouch seems to put them with my less commonly used tools... where their not readily accessible.

Any tips on storage, brand and habits from the guys that do wear them?
    "Itís because the American worker is experienced, loyal, and hardworking!" Red Forman

Quote Originally Posted by Electrical Student View Post
    How many guys actually wear safety glasses all day every day?

I have worked at places where u absouloutly had to have them on and it seems not to bother me after a
    little while. My shop now their optional and i cant seem to keep them on or even close by. Plus they end up in a pile of tools n their ruined. A special pouch seems to put them with my less commonly used tools... where their not readily accessible.

I wear glasses. Eye tests here are free for those ancient people like myself. You can shop around for lenses made to that fit that prescription. My company (Eaton Corporation) did to get safety lenses so I wore those as my regular glasses.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrical Student View Post

Go buy flash protection rated glasses on line , they're cheaper by the box

I just keep 'em on my gourd all day, now & then they get cleaned off in a cellar or crawlspace

But i've learned to wear them anytime i energize anything.....I became a 'believer' the hard way back when an Xformer blew on me & blinded me for a good 5 min's....

~RJ~

Some GC's that we work with require them to be worn all of the time. Other GC's require them when cutting, drilling, chopping, etc. With the latter group no one voluntarily wears them all of the time. The same would apply to hardhats if they were optional.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

I worry about eye protection both on and off the job so my prescription glasses are safety glasses. Therefore, I am protected most of my waking hours every day of the year. (I don't however wear the removable side shields unless I'm on a construction site or at the gun range. I've had spent brass hit me there.) You only have two eyes and it would really suck to lose one. My glasses have saved my eyes more than once and have the scratched lenses to prove it.

I also require my employees to wear safety glasses when on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    My glasses have saved my eyes more than once and have the scratched lenses to prove it.
    And I can say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I also require my employees to wear safety glasses when on the clock.
    And another

I will also say hearing protection should be along the same lines, I am hard of hearing now (started back in my 40's) and wish there would have been more requirements for protection during my early career. Besides the hearing loss I am high pitch tone deaf (I attribute this to loud squealing drill motors and such) and can't even hear my dog whine witch bugs the heck out of my wife. I have to rely on her to hear the brake indicators on our cars.

Roger

One time I went to a plant where I was always expected to wear a hard hat, but this time I was only going into the office, so was told I could leave it in the car. I already had it out, so I took it anyway and the most convenient place to carry it was on my head. As I was leaving at the end of the day, I came down and enclosed staircase where they had obviously added the enclosure and fire door as an afterthought, because they had to cut into the last concrete step for the door. because of the difference in height, and the fact that I was talking AND walking (too much for brain), my heel caught the edge of the step and pitched me forward into the fire door, head first. The force of the impact split my helmet in half; that would have been my SKULL! Ever since then, I wear my PPE whether I think I need it or not.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Get one of those straps with the rubber ends that slide onto the ends of your safety glasses, and wear them around your neck
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

My first job out of college was in an explosives manufacturing plant, for 11 years. I got so used to wearing them that at my next job, where they weren't required I felt uncomfortable not wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    . . . witch bugs the heck out of my wife.
    Your Freudian slip is showing.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA