Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pool deck area heating

Pool deck area heating

The situation I 've been asked about is --- the pool deck will have drains for shed water, the pool drain piping is to be a PVC material, the contractor has been asked to install an 240v deicing heat cable in the piping, & now the NEC does not require circuits to be pool associated outside of 5'of waters edge.
    I really can't justify 680.27(C)(3) as the cables do not meet the embedded requirement/or do they?
    Violation? Hazard?? or just wrong???

680.27 Specialized Pool Equipment.

(C) Deck Area Heating. The provisions of this section shall apply to all pool deck areas, including a covered pool, where electrically operated comfort heating units are installed within 6.0 m (20 ft) of the inside wall of the pool.
    (3) Radiant Heating Cables Not Permitted. Radiant heating cables embedded in or below the deck shall not be permitted.
    CircuitRyder --- Unfortunately not all good ideas are code enforceable.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwm1752 View Post
    The situation I 've been asked about is --- the pool deck will have drains for shed water, the pool drain piping is to be a PVC material, the contractor has been asked to install an 240v deicing heat cable in the piping, & now the NEC does not require circuits to be pool associated outside of 5'of waters edge.
    I really can't justify 680.27(C)(3) as the cables do not meet the embedded requirement/or do they?
    [B]Violation? Hazard?? or just wrong???.
    You are right it's not a violation because the cables are not embedded.

Maybe a hazard, but that depends how easy it is for someone to come into contact with the heat cables and other parts of the electrical installation.

Just wrong? That's the big question. What if, instead of around a pool in pvc, the heat tape was installed in a metal gutter and downspout at an elementary school or daycare? At least around the pool you have a bonding grid.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    You are right it's not a violation because the cables are not embedded.

Maybe a hazard, but that depends how easy it is for someone to come into contact with the heat cables and other parts of the electrical installation.

Just wrong? That's the big question. What if, instead of around a pool in pvc, the heat tape was installed in a metal gutter and downspout at an elementary school or daycare? At least around the pool you have a bonding grid.
    It is still a violation if it is below.

"Radiant heating cables embedded in or below the deck shall not be permitted."

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post

I don't think you know what embedded means.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    I don't think you know what embedded means.
    I do , do you?

What's the heat cables purpose? If its purpose is to keep the pipes from freezing I wouldn't really call it radiant heating cable

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I do , do you?
    Op says heat cable is in the piping.

I would assume this means it can be pulled out and repaired or replaced if necessary without the need to destroy the decking.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Op says heat cable is in the piping.

I would assume this means it can be pulled out and repaired or replaced if necessary without the need to destroy the decking.
    I don't think the issue of accessible to repair is the issue. Anyone know what the CMP thought on this one?

I don't think the issue of accessible to repair is the issue. Anyone know what the CMP thought on this one?
    There is electric heat tape that gets embedded in the concrete, we call it snow melt around here. I don't know for sure, but I bet that's the stuff they want to keep out of concrete surrounding pools.

As I read the code section I say it is not compliant to have the heating cable below the deck even if it is in pvc conduit. I am not sure that is the intent however if the cable should fail and leak to ground- assuming it can just as water can usually get inside the conduit, then there is a potential for an accident.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky