Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 62

Thread: 120/240 v single phase panel

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    9,564
    The panel is rated for up to 240V. You can feed it with 208V. This is done all the time. You can use two pole breakers also. There isn't very much in this world that is not usable at 208V.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    17,169
    Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    Can a 120/240v single phase panel be powered from 120/208v three phase panel with 120/208V three phase power? Does the code allow?
    Yes, see 110.4

    Roger
    Moderator

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,572
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    The panel is rated for up to 240V. You can feed it with 208V. This is done all the time. You can use two pole breakers also. There isn't very much in this world that is not usable at 208V.
    A 400V contactor coil?
    They exist in this world......
    Last edited by Besoeker; 04-12-18 at 04:53 PM.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Greenville SC
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    Can a 120/240v single phase panel be powered from 120/208v three phase panel with 120/208V three phase power?
    You've gotten questions because of your question. A 120/240 panel can be fed with 120/208 3 wire (one is center of the wye) and EGC from a 3 phase panel ... from a 2 pole breaker. It cannot be fed with 3 phase conductors with or without the wye center.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    There would be no 240V - see the thread title.
    Who cares that there's no 240v in the panel?

    JAP>

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,531
    Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    Can a 120/240v single phase panel be powered from 120/208v three phase panel with 120/208V three phase power? Does the code allow?

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    But I will say your the king of confusing questions.

    If your asking if a 1ph 120/240v panel can be fed 120/208v 1ph from a 120/208 3ph 4w Y Panel board by means of a 2p breaker in the 3ph panel, then, the answer is yes.

    If that's not the question, then I'm still confused as to what the actual question is.

    JAP>

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    19,285
    Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    Who cares that there's no 240v in the panel?

    JAP>
    The OP might. He asked about feeding a 120/240 three wire single phase panel, he did not specify that there were only line to neutral loads on that panel.
    A complete answer to his question would have to note that it could not drive 240V loads unless they were also rated for operation at 208V.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,572
    Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    But I will say your the king of confusing questions.

    If your asking if a 1ph 120/240v panel can be fed 120/208v 1ph from a 120/208 3ph 4w Y Panel board by means of a 2p breaker in the 3ph panel, then, the answer is yes.
    OK. Where would the 240V come from?
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    MD, USA
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    The OP might. He asked about feeding a 120/240 three wire single phase panel, he did not specify that there were only line to neutral loads on that panel.
    A complete answer to his question would have to note that it could not drive 240V loads unless they were also rated for operation at 208V.
    Sorry for the confusion. To put it more clearly:

    I have 480/277V transformer primary and 208/120V transformer secondary three phase. The transformer secondary feeds 208V/120V three phase panelboard.

    The 208V/120V three phase panelboard has single phase 2 pole feeder circuit breaker which feeds to 240/120V single phase panelboard.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    19,285
    Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. To put it more clearly:

    I have 480/277V transformer primary and 208/120V transformer secondary three phase. The transformer secondary feeds 208V/120V three phase panelboard.

    The 208V/120V three phase panelboard has single phase 2 pole feeder circuit breaker which feeds to 240/120V single phase panelboard.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    You have still not clarified what kind of loads will be fed from the 120/240 panelboard.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •