Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Use of weld cable

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    In the day or two I've been around here I've picked up on one point. VFD = listen to Jraef
    Ditto!
    Sometimes I don't know whether I'm the boxer or the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    And good luck pulling DLO though conduit... It tends to grip the walls, even with lots of lube.
    I've had to put welding cable / DLO in conduit a couple of times, and hands down the best pulling lube is baby powder. Place the cable and a liberal amount of baby powder in a large garbage bag, and "shake-n-bake." The baby powder removes the "tack" from the cable jacket. Also makes the electrical room smell all clean and fresh, as a bonus.

Using a turkey baster to "puff" some additional baby powder into the conduit helped as well.

Pull was about 20', with almost 360deg of bends. It was actually a very easy pull, all things considered.

rpoet

I have never tried baby powder or talc to pull conductors.

I did few 1500 and 1750 HP DC motors, that had 700 volt armatures and used 535.3 kcmil DLO for the conductors. Four pulled in 4" rigid conduit about 125-150' long with three 90s. We used Yellow 77 and did not have any issues with the pull.

I did keep some baby powder around for use with rubber voltage rated gloves.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

What is the voltage rating of welding cable. IIRC, the actual voltage is less than 50 volts.

I ran into a similar problem on large UPS installations. 600v THHN doesn't safely cut it when you have a battery feed of +/- 540v to ground.

We ended up using 500mcm "rail road" cable. The stuff used in the traction electrical system. It is 2kv rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Delle View Post
    What is the voltage rating of welding cable. IIRC, the actual voltage is less than 50 volts.
    Some is rated at 100 volts and other is rated at 600 volts.
    I ran into a similar problem on large UPS installations. 600v THHN doesn't safely cut it when you have a battery feed of +/- 540v to ground.

We ended up using 500mcm "rail road" cable. The stuff used in the traction electrical system. It is 2kv rated.
    Rail road cable is also known as DLO "Diesel Locomotive" cable. It is available in 1 and 2 kv rated.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)