Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use of weld cable

Use of weld cable

We are getting materials together for a VFD installation, and we wanted a wire that was flexible. This cable will be in its own conduit to avoid interference. The price of the VFD specific cable was in the $40 per foot range for 250kcm so the local warehouse suggested using weld cable. In 630 IV I did not see it as being prohibited but it just did not seem correct any help out there?

Thank you
    Dave

NEC recognized conductors are listed in Table 310.104(A).
    It''s double your "weld cable" will be there but it is possible it has a recognized rating also.
    Often for flexibility folks will use "DLO" cable which has the recognized "RHW" rating also.
    There is, however, a lot involved in VFD cables other than flexibility.

https://www.southwire.com/products/DLODieselLocomotiveCableoem.htm

Last edited by augie47; 04-13-18 at 08:46 PM.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9289 View Post
    We are getting materials together for a VFD installation, and we wanted a wire that was flexible. This cable will be in its own conduit to avoid interference. The price of the VFD specific cable was in the $40 per foot range for 250kcm so the local warehouse suggested using weld cable. In 630 IV I did not see it as being prohibited but it just did not seem correct any help out there?

Thank you
    Dave
    Welding cable, unless additionally marked at RHW of RHH (or other insulation type found in the NEC) cannot be used for NEC applications. Also note that standard terminations are not suitable for use with finely stranded conductors like this.
    Don, Illinois
    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Dr. Rick Rigsby
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    NEC recognized conductors are listed in Table 310.104(A).
    It''s double your "weld cable" will be there but it is possible it has a recognized rating also.
    Often for flexibility folks will use "DLO" cable which has the recognized "RHW" rating also.
    There is, however, a lot involved in VFD cables other than flexibility.

https://www.southwire.com/products/DLODieselLocomotiveCableoem.htm

Thank you im in 310.014 now could not find the double your weld cable but did find the RHW. I have used the DLO did not find it in the code book but I liked it

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    Welding cable, unless additionally marked at RHW of RHH (or other insulation type found in the NEC) cannot be used for NEC applications. Also note that standard terminations are not suitable for use with finely stranded conductors like this.
    Thank you I will make sure. I think I may have found low cost VFD

Quote Originally Posted by dm9289 View Post
    Thank you im in 310.014 now could not find the double your weld cable but did find the RHW. I have used the DLO did not find it in the code book but I liked it
    DLO won't be in the NEC as it's not recognized by the NEC but if it carries the added RHW listing it is approved.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

And good luck pulling DLO though conduit... It tends to grip the walls, even with lots of lube.

I'd say that at least 75% of the VFD problems I have to deal with are caused by people wanting the benefits of the VFD, but not wanting to take the time and/or spend the money to install them correctly, including the wiring. Read this document before you start. It's not specific to the brand, it's a compilation of valuable information gathered from 30+ years of experience by Reliance and Allen Bradley drive technical support and field service people on how to avoid the most common mistakes. It applies to ALL makes and models of VFDs, no exceptions.

http://literature.rockwellautomation...n001_-en-p.pdf
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Thanks for the info in my case its only a 15 ft pull but good article

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    DLO won't be in the NEC as it's not recognized by the NEC but if it carries the added RHW listing it is approved.
    OK thanks

In the day or two I've been around here I've picked up on one point. VFD = listen to Jraef