Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Customer Charges

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Denton Texas
    Posts
    1

    Customer Charges

    I have a building contractor that hired me to install pvc and floor boxes in a slab as well as UFER ground for a shop building. I had bid on a house and the shop was an inclusion to the property. I then roughed in the house which I had bid on next to the shop. I pulled the permit and carry licensing as well as insurance on the work performed. Now another electrician has come behind me and wired the shop building which I installed the pvc and floor boxes in slab. I assume these individuals are unlicensed and not insured. I am working up my charges for work performed on the slab since obviously they did not accept my bid proposal once I finished this step. I realize this builder is unethical and trying to cheapen the price on this work. But is it legal, illegal or unethical to charge for licensing and insurance needs pertaining to this property since my license is an issue with having this property inspected. I am not up for covering this shop building under my licensing but am dumbfounded in a way as to where to go about ending this scenario.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    17,230
    I would tell the building department that you are only asking for a final inspection on the house and with the exception of the slab work the shop wiring was not part of your permit or scope of work.

    Roger
    Moderator

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    37,543
    Do you have a contract with either the owner or the builder?

    Even if you do there may be ways for either party to get out of the contract.

    For permits, insurance, etc. I agree with Roger - inform AHJ you did not complete the project, let them go after anyone not licensed or otherwise allowed to perform this work, and/or to make any necessary corrections if there are code violations.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    5,438
    It sounds to me like the shop and the house are two completely separate buildings, possibly on two separate lights, and if so, you would need two permits. Were two permits pulled? If you were just hired to install the boxes and conduit, and not hired to install the wiring, your permit shouldn't have others working on it to install the wiring and devices

    I hope the price you quoted on the Conduit work covers your expenses... And that you were not hoping to do the wiring and trim out to recover any cost.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,876
    Quote Originally Posted by pneu1965 View Post
    But is it legal, illegal or unethical to charge for licensing and insurance needs pertaining to this property since my license is an issue with having this property inspected. I am not up for covering this shop building under my licensing but am dumbfounded in a way as to where to go about ending this scenario.
    I wouldn't get the shop inspected if I didn't do the work.

    I would get the house inspected and then collect money for the job. I would let the building official know that the shop was wired by others. If the GC is hiring unlicensed electricians I would let them know this to.

    Don't let others that are not licensed work under your license if they are not employees because this is illegal.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •