Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Microwave circuit

What section of the code requires a dedicated microwave circuit (for one in a cabinet, not countertop)? I don't see a mention of "microwave oven" anywhere.

I'm working on a house remodel where there will be a hardwired range hood over an island. Not one that could ever be swapped for a microwave/hood combo. Can this hood be on the SABC? Can this hood be on a "dedicated" circuit with the microwave?

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    What section of the code requires a dedicated microwave circuit (for one in a cabinet, not countertop)? I don't see a mention of "microwave oven" anywhere.

I'm working on a house remodel where there will be a hardwired range hood over an island. Not one that could ever be swapped for a microwave/hood combo. Can this hood be on the SABC? Can this hood be on a "dedicated" circuit with the microwave?
    Post #4 has the code reference for the hood.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Post #4 has the code reference for the hood.
    Microwave and range hood combination sort of makes the "range hood" component kick in the requirements mentioned in post 4.

Maybe even better question is what if a microwave and range hood combination isn't installed over a range or cooktop? I have run into that a few times. All were before content in post 4 was included in code. I ran 20 amp branch circuit with single outlet anyway (ok a single duplex outlet)- seemed to be good design decision at the time.

Coppersmith -your hardwired range hood can't be on with SABC's. It could be on with a microwave that is not intended to plug into a receptacle required to be on the SABC's, such as one on a shelf in a cabinet.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

As Kwired pointed out the requirement may be different for a range hood with a cord and plug connection. I missed the part about being hardwired.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

..I'm working on a house remodel where there will be a hardwired range hood over an island..
    Hardwired whips are a violation of 422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances, unless fuse box disconnect is within sight, or special lockable circuit breakers are installed.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Quote Originally Posted by ramsy View Post
    Hardwired whips are a violation of 422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances, unless fuse box disconnect is within sight, or special lockable circuit breakers are installed.
    Unless it is a hood/microwave combination, most are under 1/8 HP or 300 VA and branch circuit device (without locking provisions) is acceptable for the disconnecting means.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Unless it is a hood/microwave combination, most are under 1/8 HP or 300 VA and branch circuit device (without locking provisions) is acceptable for the disconnecting means.
    Disconnect must be within sight, regardless of wattage. Better fix all your residential-kitchen misdeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Unless it is a hood/microwave combination, most are under 1/8 HP or 300 VA..
    Microwave under 300 VA ?
    Last edited by ramsy; 04-16-18 at 02:16 PM.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

A lockout is a few bucks - no "special breaker" required, and then it doesn't have to be within sight.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

The NEC is a permissible code with minimum standards, which designs can exceed.

But our AHJ wont allow GFCI reset buttons behind cabinet doors. Not "readily accessible location" per First ΒΆ 210.8, until a written challenge prevailed for under-sink dishwasher plugs. Per 2014 NEC language, someone refused the Fuse-Box upgrade to accommodate GFCI breakers.

This senior planner continues to prohibit this practice unless challenged, to force Fuse-Box upgrades during kitchen remodels, and when our State adopts the 2017 NEC language in 210.8, challengers trying to avoid fuse box upgrades will no longer prevail.
    What AHJ is this. Never heard of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    What AHJ is this. Never heard of this.
    Santa Ana, CA senior planner, and Education Chair for Orange Empire Division IAEI, provides the mandatory continuing-education units for several municipal-inspection departments. He is one of the best, and cities send their inspectors from all over the Los Angles basin.

http://www.iaei.org/web/orangeempire
    As of 4/16/18 the education notes for NEC Art. 422 are still published on home page.

The monthly meetings are attended by ~50 people, combination inspectors, contractors, Utility, NRTL, & OSHA reps. I've been an attending member for ~10 years.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay