Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Microwave circuit

Quote Originally Posted by ramsy View Post
    Disconnect must be within sight, regardless of wattage. Better fix all your residential-kitchen misdeeds.

Microwave under 300 VA ?
    A change I wasn't aware of - prior to 2017 NEC no lockable breaker was required if under 1/8 hp or 300 VA. If lockable breaker is required it must comply with 110.25 - basically the lock device must be able to remain attached to the breaker even when lock is not in use.

After reading 422.31 over a few times I honestly don't know why they didn't combine (A) and (B). After the change they made to (A) in 2017, there is no longer difference for requirements in those two sections. Or can someone point out what is different that I am missing?

As mentioned most current production breakers out there have such devices available for them and is only a few dollars.

ADD: looked a little more and looks like they might have as well eliminated (C) while at it. All three sections now require lockable breaker if not within sight of the appliance regardless of HP or VA.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    why post something that we cannot see unless a member.
    Geez.
    Come down off your high mountain, and attend.

The "April 2018' minutes are not published yet for Art. 422, but previous months minutes are there if you want a summary.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Come down off your high mountain, and attend.

The "April 2018' minutes are not published yet for Art. 422, but previous months minutes are there if you want a summary.
    No time to attend such stuff.
    Way too far also.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    ..After reading 422.31 over a few times I honestly don't know why they didn't combine (A) and (B). After the change they made to (A) in 2017, there is no longer difference for requirements in those two sections. ..
    The Combination inspectors in the room wish all sections were identical, so they might get it. Many people in the room appear to have no clue about this code, much less a clue about mechanical issues, such as condensation that makes conduit a wet location.

Who can master the frequent changes, the cross referenced proprietary-code standards, proper testing bodies, authorities, or OEM listing requirements. Its too complex.

Sierra Sparky belly aches about attending the Continuing Education Units (CEU) provided at his local IAEI meetings or elsewhere, because its not mandated for Licensed-Electrical contractors in our State, but we both know without it reasonable people can't be expected to master 900+ pages of this code, much less depend on a journeymen who's getting laid off next week.
    Last edited by ramsy; 04-16-18 at 08:08 PM.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

In store pickup is not available for this product. Inspector can red-tag until item is shipped & installed.

Better to hire those who install the cord & plug disconnect.
    lowes doesn't stock it, better abandon that whole strategy. Sorry customers, nothing three phase anymore, lowes doesnt have it.....
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

The Combination inspectors in the room wish all sections were identical, so they might get it. Many people in the room appear to have no clue about this code, much less a clue about mechanical issues, such as condensation that makes conduit a wet location.

Who can master the frequent changes, the cross referenced proprietary-code standards, proper testing bodies, authorities, or OEM listing requirements. Its too complex.

Sierra Sparky belly aches about attending the Continuing Education Units (CEU) provided at his local IAEI meetings or elsewhere, because its not mandated for Licensed-Electrical contractors in our State, but we both know without it reasonable people can't be expected to master 900+ pages of this code, much less depend on a journeymen who's getting laid off next week.
    Oh so you are a Mavin or have personal knowledge as to how much CEU I have. I usually get about 30 hours per year of non-required CEU. I took 3 classes on code updates recently.
    Some where online, however I bet you don't think that Qualifies.

Besides do you want to go down this road. You don't have a current journeyman's card according to the DIR website nor do you have a Contractors license. You did have a JC but you let it lapse.

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    lowes doesn't stock it, better abandon that whole strategy. Sorry customers, nothing three phase anymore, lowes doesnt have it.....
    Would you agree the cord & plug microwave disconnect is less trouble than hardwired, since you don't need to carry around lock kits in your truck(s).
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Would you agree the cord & plug microwave disconnect is less trouble than hardwired, since you don't need to carry around lock kits in your truck(s).
    No I wouldn't. I would rather install one of those breaker lockouts than make up a recep, cord and cap. IMO its cheaper and quicker.

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    No I wouldn't. I would rather install one of those breaker lockouts than make up a recep, cord and cap. IMO its cheaper and quicker.
    I've never seen a MW that didn't come with an attached cord and plug, counter-top or above-range.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    I've never seen a MW that didn't come with an attached cord and plug, counter-top or above-range.
    Right, I concur. I am not really clear on what we are debating I thought we were discussing the case of something that can be hardwired - like a dishwasher or range hood, but could also be made up with a field added cord set.

"You can't generalize"