Thread: Bucket truck

Bucket truck

Exploring purchasing a bucket truck to do service rewires A lot of homes in the greater Pittsburgh area are very close together and using an extension ladder would make it straight up and down..no angle
    i can access from sidewalk most times with a truck.
    My question is from someone with practical experience ho high of a service can be reached with a 29 foot bucket. I realize distance from building affects boom reach. Triangle a2+b2=c2. But just wanted input from hands on in the field experience

thanks

Would a one-man lift fit?
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by keith gigabyte View Post
    Exploring purchasing a bucket truck to do service rewires A lot of homes in the greater Pittsburgh area are very close together and using an extension ladder would make it straight up and down..no angle..
    Unless your an outside lineman shop, you may end up competing against holiday lighting laborers to justify your bucket truck investment.

Got smart & sold my big ladders & lifts. Now offer clients the equipment rental option, but they are not calling back?

Lots of tall buildings & tall ceilings need special equipment. Where are these clients going? Do lots of stupids do without, or less than rental rates?

No one questions if standing on top-rung of ladder, vertical, or upside down can void insurances. Clients don't believe their contractor friends will disappear, after UN-insurred helpers sue everyone for falling off a ladder with no Workers Comp..

Owners can see the big picture of seized property/assets & bankruptcy to avoid court ordered medical costs, but justifying your equipment investment requires competing against stupids who do it for less, or without. Good luck
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Bucket trucks are a big expense due to yearly certifications and maintenance. If you can say that you will have it out every day making money, go for it. But otherwise rent what's needed and charge it back to the customer is the best way.

-Hal

Bucket truck

How many services are you doing a week? We have a 42’ bucket and it really needs to be out an average of a day a week to make it worthwhile. I don’t know what kind of money you’re looking to spend though. I will add also that at least once a year it goes in the shop for hydraulic repairs, and that gets pretty expensive. Plus tires, plus dialelectric testing, record keeping, etc.... i think the truck has maybe 70k miles now and it’s already needed some engine work too. Not trying to talk you out of it, just passing along what I know.

Prior to getting the truck I would rent a pull behind lift and it was about $400/day, $1200/wk.

Also, as to how high you can reach, maybe 20’ on average?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.