User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service conductor length before needing a disconnect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Service conductor length before needing a disconnect.

Thursday April 12th I removed and replaced an old fuse box service. Because of the width of the new 100 amp 32 space panel I had to move it around the corner. So the SEC comes into the house and is infused for 22" between meter and panel. The inspector is calling for a disconnect to be installed. Amy arguments i could make? I mean it is less distance than a Sweep 90. or would I need to sleeve it in something. I was always told 3 feet of service cable into the house before needing a disconnect and have had other inspectors say 6 feet. Any input would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code says "nearest the point of entrance" (230.70) so you are pretty much regulated by that Code jurisdiction's interpretation. You might ask if installing the conductors in a metallic wireway would make any difference. Often with that protection, a longer length is accepted.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that is a service cable then why does it have 4 conductors? Looks like SER not SEU.

If they are service conductors then I would agree with the inspector. Some areas have amendments that actually state the length of wire while others just use the somewhat ambiguous nec RULE.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much up to the AHJ. Around here it's 5 feet but that's usually running exposed in a basement. The fact that yours is buried in the wall is probably the reason for the concern. Since you already have SER it should be an easy change.

-Hal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned it's a judgement call but I would probably allow it. I wouldn't allow the four conductor cable to be used as shown in the photo. You have a choice, either add the disconnect on the outside or change to a raceway and encase it in concrete.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petchman5 View Post
    Thursday April 12th I removed and replaced an old fuse box service. Because of the width of the new 100 amp 32 space panel I had to move it around the corner. So the SEC comes into the house and is infused for 22" between meter and panel. The inspector is calling for a disconnect to be installed. Amy arguments i could make? I mean it is less distance than a Sweep 90. or would I need to sleeve it in something. I was always told 3 feet of service cable into the house before needing a disconnect and have had other inspectors say 6 feet. Any input would be appreciated.
    Since it is only 100 amp you can get a small panel to use as a disco. GE makes a 4ckt panel rated 125 amp for less then $30. It comes with a small square washer to use as a lock down, so the main is ok. Of course you will have to buy a 100 amp breaker also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 feet of conductor inside the building is the rule here. There are times when they might allow a little more - you better ask first though in those situations.

Only thing wrong with using 4 wire cable like OP did is he essentially has a parallel neutral, assuming N and G are both connected in the meter. Disconnect the bare conductor (at least on one end) and nothing wrong with it. Still leaves a grounded "shield" if only connected at one end and shoulnd't be anything wrong with that.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    If that is a service cable then why does it have 4 conductors? Looks like SER not SEU.

If they are service conductors then I would agree with the inspector.
    Dennis you have good eyes, I didn't even notice that.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be nice to have a specified length written in the code for distance into a building.

This has always been a crapshoot when it comes to what is allowable.Why for instance can't there simply be a length, period, end of discussion.

A number of times I have installed a disco only to have the inspector say" you were fine with the length, you didn't need that switch outside.

When working in a variety of municipalities, it's not practical call every inspector and ask what they will allow,

2'
    3'
    4'
    Etc.

Pick a number and that's that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Washington state code explicitly states that the limit here is 15 feet. I don't know if MN has a similar code. Have you looked for applicable state codes?
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.